Sunday, January 17, 2010

Just some thoughts

Sunday - the day is past. It was quite the day. Worship was wonderful, from my perspective. It might not have been so wonderful from your perspective - either here at St. Paul's, Troy or at the place where you worship. I ask the Holy Spirit to guide everything that I do in a service. It is the Lord's Word that is brought to you. It is the Lord's Word in the liturgy. It is the Lord's Word in the message. It is the Lord's Word in the prayers. It is the Lord in the Sacrament. How could it not be wonderful?

I rejoice for each person who walks through the doors here at St. Paul's. We should thank the Lord for the opportunity to worship the Lord with all our heart, soul, body and mind. And when we don't, instead of finding excuses (which we are good at), we should ask the Lord to forgive us and to help us to worship Him again.

What excuse do you use to avoid worship? Too tired? Too much to do? Just don't feel interested? Don't like what has gone on? Don't like what is going on? Don't want to go to 2 Sunday services? Don't like what someone said to you? What is your reason this week? What was it last week?

Can you just ask yourself one question: Why do you need an excuse? Can't you just be honest with yourself and God and say, "I just don't feel like it today." Then ask yourself, why not? Why don't you feel like it? Have you been sinless this week? Are you that strong of a Christian you don't need to be fed from Word and Sacrament? Do you think that the Lord doesn't want to help you in your life or that you don't need the Lord's help in your life?

I guess I don't understand why people will avoid worship. I look at it as the wonderful opportunity to be in the Lord's presence (yes, you can be in His presence anywhere, but aren't we just making and excuse again when we say that?) and to hear His Word given to my heart and life that is struggling (and I can hear that at home, but will I? Will I actually spend time with the Lord each day when I avoid Him week after week? More excuses.). I don't just go because I am a pastor and I have to go. I go because I want to. It just happens that I am given the honor of preaching the very Word I need to hear. So I preach to myself. I need to hear what I say. And others get to listen.

So did you worship today? I pray that it was uplifting and edifying. And I pray that you heard the Word of God and that it impacted your life. And I look forward to next week, when we get to do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment