Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Blessed

How are you? Blessed. Have a blessed day. I received an added bonus today. Boy am I blessed. My cancer is gone. I am so blessed. Over and over again, we talk about be blessed. What do we mean by this little word?

I know what is generally meant - the Lord has watched over me and has done something good for me. He made me healthy. He gave me something I needed. He kept me safe from a moment of crisis. He has helped my family through a difficult time. And truly, you are blessed when these things happen. What a joy it is to be able to see that the Lord is the One who has guided you through a situation and brought it to an end that you appreciate. It is wonderful to see the Lord do good in your life, my life, the life of a loved one.

But what about when the cancer doesn't disappear? What about when the money doesn't come in? What about when the family is torn apart? What about when there is a death? Are you still blessed? Or do you turn from that statement and say, "No, I am not blessed. The Lord messed up and didn't do what I wanted Him to do."

I guess what I am thinking about today is how the Lord responds to our prayers. We have developed into a Christian culture that uses God to get what we want. We pray. Then expect that the answer is always going to be "yes." Now I know that what some will point to: "But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord: he is a double-minded man, unstable in his ways." (James 1:6-7) See, if we ask, believe that God will give it to you, and He will. He has too. He has promised that He will give it to you. If you doubt that He will do it, then He will not do it. If you believe that He will do it, then He will do it.

Wait, does that mean I can control what God does? Does it mean that if I pray for something, really believe that I will receive it, then I will receive it? If I really, really, really believe that God will fix my heart problem, then He will fix my heart problem? If I believe that God will give me a better paying job, then He will give me a better paying job?

Some would say yes. I would say, I don't know. You see, God is still God. He is in control of my life and my situation. I do not control God. I do not control the destiny of my life. I am not God. That's right, I am not God. I am one who trusts in God, loves Him and follow Him. But I do not control Him. But what about these verses? They tell us that if we believe it, then we receive it.

Let's look at the verses that precede these. Let's get the context. James writes, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting..." (James 1:2-6a) Does this talk about using God like a grandfather who will give you whatever you ask? Does it mean that you control what God does or gives to you? No. It is talking about the fact that God will guide you, uphold you and be with you through all sorts of trials and tribulations. It talks about asking for wisdom. Wisdom for what? Wisdom to understand that God is producing steadfastness of faith in you through the trials that you are facing. It isn't telling you that God has become your Amazon.com in the sky.

How do I get here? I have been thinking about being blessed. Are we only blessed when things go well? No, we are blessed every day as we live in the grace of God. We are blessed to be called children of God. You are blessed when the cancer continues and the treatments make you ill. You are blessed when job stinks and the people around you are a pain in the neck. You are blessed when the car doesn't start, when the traffic is backed up and moving slow. You are blessed when the family doesn't make it home for Thanksgiving or for Christmas.

How can I say that? You are blessed because blessing doesn't rely upon receiving that which we ask for. Blessing comes from God day in and day out, without your asking. It comes because of His love for you. You are blessed in Christ Jesus. You are blessed as you receive forgiveness of sins. You are blessed as you live each day as a child of God. You are blessed.

I know why we say "I am blessed because my car started in this cold weather." What I want you to remember is that you are blessed when the car doesn't start on that cold morning. You are blessed because the Lord is still with you. He hasn't turned His back on you because your car didn't start. He is still right there, with you, blessing you. The blessing we receive from the Lord is a blessing that transcends the here and now. It is a blessing that is much deeper and more meaningful that the physical. It is a spiritual blessing that is part of our lives day after day, 24/7, 365.

I will still say that I am blessed when the health is given. I will tell someone that the Lord has blessed them when the family is all together. I will rejoice that the Lord has blessed the physical life. Yes I will. And I am sure that you will too.

But remember this, you are blessed. Period. Good or bad in your life, you are blessed. Health or illness in your life, you are blessed. Why? There my friends, take a look in the manger. You will see your true blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment