Monday, November 12, 2018

Thank you veterans, a mite challenge and snow - random ramblings.

Veteran's Day was yesterday, Sunday, Nov. 11th. I want to thank each veteran who served our country in both peace time and war time. They have given of themselves. They have served with distinction. I thank God for each one. You, as a veteran, may not have received the recognition that you deserve, but know that you are greatly appreciated. I give thanks to God that there are men and women who are willing to serve in the armed forces in some way. I want to give a special shout out to Christian Engelbrecht as he took the oath yesterday (what a day to take the oath!) to become part of the Ohio National Guard. Very proud of him to take this step. God bless all our veterans.

This last week I attended the various meetings of the LWML in St. Louis, MO. Convention Planning Committee (CPC), Executive Committee (EC) and Assembly of Leaders (AOL). Each one had a special focus and work to accomplish. I give thanks that I have been able to serve the Lord as junior pastoral counselor of the Lutheran Women's Missionary League. What a blessing this has been for me and how it has pushed me to grow in faith and service to the Lord.

Pastor Bob Mundahl, senior pastoral counselor, has challenged me to lose 20 pounds by the time we have the Board of Directors (BOD) meeting in later January. I accepted that challenge. Now comes the hard part, to accomplish it. 2 months, 10 pounds a month, during the holiday season. Am I crazy? Penny bakes so many wonderful Christmas cookies. How will I lose weight when I have a wife who bakes such great things? It will take discipline and hard work to accomplish this feat. Oh yes, we have committed ourselves to giving $10 a pound that we lose - to the mites of the LWML.

Here is a challenge for you. Would you join in supporting the mission of the LWML at this time. How about you commit yourself to giving a certain amount over and above your regular mite offering, a certain amount per pound that I lose. $1 a pound, $5 a pound, whatever you are able to do. This in not a requirement but something that you might want to do. I will also put this challenge out on Facebook, to see if we can raise more for the mites of the National LWML so that we can reach our mite goal of this biennium.

We wait to see if it will snow today. I hope it does. Penny and I love snow. We like to see it coming down, to see the landscape turn white. If only we could have it snow just on the grass and trees and avoid the roads, wouldn't that be grand? And wouldn't it be even better if it could snow when it was around 50 degrees rather than under 32? Is that too much to ask? Well, maybe it is too much to ask. I guess we must accept the laws of nature that the Lord has put into place.

Whatever - let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment