Monday, December 30, 2019

End of 2019

Well, my friends, we are at the end of this decade. That sounds more impressive than saying that it is the end of the year. When we talk with one another, to say, "I can't believe the decade is coming to an end," sounds deeper than saying, "I can't believe the year is coming to an end."

Often at this time of the year, one takes time to reflect back upon what has taken place. As you look back upon 2019, what stands out for you? What is the one thing that really made an impact upon your life? What thing did you do that changed the direction of your life, either for better or for worse? After all, not everything that we do is positive for our lives. Sometimes we make a decision, do some action, or say some thing that impacts our lives in a negative rather than a positive manner. Other times, that decision, action or word makes positive impact upon our lives. So what impacted your life the most?

For me, I would say that it was accepting the call to serve as pastor of St. John Lutheran Church, Clarinda, IA. I began the year serving at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Troy, IL and ended here in Iowa. I had received the call in the middle of December and accepted the call in February. We moved in the month of March and I was installed here on March 31. That was a big move. It made an impact upon my life.

What type of impact? It is multifaceted, like a prism that shines off in a myriad of directions. Was it a positive move? Yes. I can say that without pausing. It was a very positive move. This gave me a chance to move to a congregation in which I can lead to grow in sharing the grace of God with the world. There were some events that as the pastor, I was not going to be able to help overcome. I realize that now as I have stepped away. I am not going to say what those things might have been. I still love many of the people at St. Paul's. They are blessed children of God who need to have a pastor who is able to help them work their way through these issues. There were many people who shared their love with Penny and me, lifting us up when we were overwhelmed and beaten down. I thank them and continue to share my love with them. They know who they are. God bless you!

It is challenging to be here in Iowa. I haven't lived outside of Illinois since 1988. We lived and served in Illinois all those years. Now we find ourselves in SW Iowa, serving the saints of God here. On a personal level, I am getting adjusted. We moved away from our daughter and her husband, and also Penny's mom. We moved away from many of our friends that live in southern Illinois. I know that many of you have had to do that same thing, especially those of you who are in the military. It is a challenge. Yes, we are closer to our son and his wife who live in Lincoln, NE, but that is still a ways away. It is nice to see them a little more often than we did but does challenge us.

I am very happy, very content at St. John, Clarinda. The Lord has brought me to a place that can use my gifts and talents to help folks grow in faith and learn how to share the love of Christ in this community. I feel blessed to be here. Penny and I both were happy to make the move and pleased with living in Clarinda. Penny is finding fulfillment in serving as director of Noah's Ark Preschool and Daycare. It is good to see her happy and free from the fears of what was going to happen next. We are both more at peace than we have been for several years.

I think that I am going to stop at this point. Should I have the opportunity, I will write some more year end thoughts. I pray that you will be blessed as your year ends.

May you be filled with the love of Christ. Penny and I share our love with you.

1 comment: