Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Emotions of Easter

 "Jesus Christ is risen today, Alleluia!"  On Easter Sunday, our congregation (and probably most Lutheran congregations across the country), sang that hymn. We began with darkness, "Go to Dark Gethsemane," and the reading from John 20. Then the lights came up, the bells rang, the Christ candle was lit, and the peace of Christ was shared among those present. And then, the brass began. Hearts swelled, and the organ joined with the brass and we began to sing. What a glorious moment it was!

As we began singing that first verse, the emotions of the day came rushing into my heart and mind. It became difficult to sing. Tears welled in my eyes (yes, as a guy, I am admitting that). My heart was overwhelmed with the message of the day. Jesus Christ is risen! He is alive! And at that moment, that message came to life. As the song continued, I was able to join in with singing. Praising God for the wonderful message of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 

Jesus is alive! He who was crucified, who died, and was buried, came back to life on that Sunday morning. In His resurrection, He said to us, "As I live, you shall live also." I know for sure that I am saved by grace through faith, faith in the resurrected Jesus Christ. I know that when I die, I will be with my Lord in heaven. I know that when Jesus returns on the last day, this body, which will be buried in the ground due to death (unless He returns before I die), will rise from the dead. It will be glorified. I will physically enter into heaven, body and soul, sinless, made whole, just as Jesus said that it will happen. 

I praise God for the assurance, the life, the hope that this message gives to me and all people. Believe in Jesus Christ, crucified and risen, and you too shall be saved and shall live forever with Him in eternity. The message is sure. I can go through my day with an assurance that I have a living Lord guiding and strengthening me. I want everyone to know this good news. I want everyone to know that as terrible as things can get in this world and life, there is hope to be found in Jesus Christ. 

I know that my Redeemer lives! What comfort this sweet sentence gives! He lives, He lives, who once was dead, He lives my ever living Head. Thank You Jesus, for rising from the dead and giving to me and all who believe in You, hope, strength, comfort and peace. 

Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment