Sunday, May 8, 2022

Thoughts on Mother's Day

 Happy Mother's Day. For those who have born children, I wish you a blessed Mother's day. Today I think about what it means to be a mother. My lovely wife, Penny, has given birth to our two wonderful children, Rachael and Matthew. That makes today a special Mother's Day. Yet, I also remember that we had a third child, one that we lost early in the pregnancy. Penny was a mother before she gave birth to Rachael, it is just that our first child was not carried to term. We rejoice that the Lord has blessed us with both Rachael and Matthew, both of whom are a blessing to us. Thank you Penny for being that very Christian and loving mother to our children. 

I say that because there are many women who have lost children, being unable to carry them to term because of many different reasons. On Mother's Day, there are women whose hearts are heavy because they have not been able to give birth to their children. Today we need to lift them up in our prayers, remembering that they are mothers too, those they may not have the opportunity to hold and love their children after birth. I give thanks to God for those women who may well be sad on this day. God bless you and give you strength and comfort today. 

Then I thought, there are many women who have taken on the role of mother, even though they had not given birth to the children they raise. There are many who have been adoptive or foster mothers, showing love to children who have not had the blessing to be raised by their birth mothers. I know this for sure because I was not raised by my birth mother. I give thanks to Gen Foerster Osborne Brawner, the woman who raised me and my brothers. I would not be the man I am today if it was not for the fact that she took on the opportunity to raise me when I was 3 years-old. There are women today who raise their grandchildren, their nieces and nephews, and children that are not blood at all. 

If you have the opportunity to talk with your mother today, please do so. Remember that you will not always have your mother present in this world, for one day, they will pass from this life. Then you will not be able to call them on Mother's Day and talk with them. Tell them today how much you love them.

Yes, I know that there are mothers who have been less than stellar. There are those who were not good at raising their children. There are those who do not know Christ and therefore do not raise their children to know Christ. There are mothers who are physically and emotionally abusive. I am sorry for those children who must go through this. I pray that those children will be removed from those terrible situations. And for those who have been removed from those situations, I encourage you to forgive those abusive and unloving mothers for the way that they treated you. That does not mean you must condone those things that they did, nor do you have to go back into those situations. But as Christ has forgiven you, forgive them for the terrible things they did (or didn't) do to you. 

So many emotions on Mother's Day. Personally, I give thanks to God for the mothers I have know - my birth mother, the mother who raised me, the mother of my children, my mother-in-law, and my daughter. Thank You Lord, for each one of them. 

Happy and blessed Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment