Thursday, October 15, 2009

Self-centered

I am amazed at how self-centered people can be. (Is that a self-centered statement? Am I assuming too much in that I am able to make the decision that someone else is self-centered? If so, then I am wrong too.) I mean that most people are all about themselves. It seems that the thought goes like this, "If I want it, think it or focus on it, then is it is what is right. No one can tell me that I am wrong."

But they are wrong. It isn't about me. It isn't about what I want. It is about what God wants. Perhaps therein lies the problem - too many people do not focus on what God wants. In fact, many people today, though they might say they are Christians, don't even think about what God wants. It is what they want. I want this - so it must happen. I want that - so it must happen. I think thus - therefore all must agree with me and if you don't, you are wrong. God is not part of the picture. (That must be what Jesus meant when He said, "Not everyone that says 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven. Your heart must be right - set upon Him in faith.)

God needs to be placed back at the center of life, not relegated to the corner of life, used only when needed, thought about only in hard time, spoken of only in curse words. Too many are not committed to a life of following the Lord. That, too, is self-centered. that too is all about me not about Him.

Am I cynical? No I am not. I am being honest. Yes there are times when He is not the center of my thoughts. For that, I am sorry. I was wrong. Our world today is becoming less and less about Christian faith and more about secular, self-centered, all "about me" life. And in doing so, we are raising a generation of people who feel they don't need or even know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

That is scary - not for me, for I do believe in Jesus and try to follow Him daily. It is scary for all those that are not going to know Jesus and therefore are going to be lost for an eternity. Christians, we need to wake up and begin to focus again. Not on feelings but on need - the need for Jesus Christ, the need for faith, the need for His love to guide life.

No comments:

Post a Comment