Monday, March 22, 2010

It's Done

I don't really want to be political. But I have to voice myself this morning. Last night, the House of Representatives passed a bill that overhauls health care in the United States of America. I pray, oh do I pray, that this was the right thing to do. I am not sure. I fear that it has actually made more of a mess of health care than it already was.

You see, I don't disagree that health care needed to be overhauled. I don't think any of us disagree on that point. But did they do the right thing? The longer the debate went on, the less it became about health care and the more it became about our president. This became the critical point in his presidency. Excuse me? Why is it about his presidency and not about the people of the USA? Why do the people of this country have to pay for him to get his name in the record books? And why did this become a Democrat/Republican issue? What happened to working together? Why was there so much arm twisting and back room deals made to get this passed? If it really is a good thing, those who were to vote for it would have jumped on the bandwagon and no deals would have to be made. If it was so wonderful, then why would anyone's arms have to be twisted to vote for it?

I pray that the we have not just hastened the ruin of our nation. I know that the Lord can work good out of all things for those who love Him, who have been called according to His purposes. But does this nation still love Him? Do we still put Him first in everything we do? Or is it about us, the individual person and the goals and ideals we have set? I fear the worst and pray for the best. My heart aches. My mind is confused. My soul cries out to the Lord to guide all of us back to Him.

Perhaps this is the consequence of the sinfulness of our nation. Maybe it isn't about earthquakes and hurricanes. Maybe it is the financial destruction of our nation that comes as a consequence of our sinfulness - out desire to become gods, to love the self more that others, the inflamed passions of the flesh, the murder of innocent children, the lustful actions of the same sex, the living together, the biting and tearing apart of one another, the walking away from the way of the Lord day after day - perhaps all of these are leading the USA the way of other great nations. A financial collapse would hurt this nation worse than anything else.

We all need to search our hearts, our lives, our directions and ask ourselves, "Am I following the Lord in my life? Or am I following the devil, the world and my own sinful nature?" Maybe John the Baptist had it right, "Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand." The first coming of the Savior followed that call. I cry out, "Come, Lord Jesus! Come and save us from ourselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment