Tuesday, March 23, 2021

It's raining, it's pouring, I sure wasn't snoring

 Sitting here watching it rain. We need this rain at this time of the year. Helps get the plants growing. I put some grass seed out and I sure hope that it takes hold. This last winter was hard on the yard. It needs the seed to grow and fill in the spots that are bare, especially where the dogs like to walk or stand at the fence so they can bark at anything that happens to go past.

Makes me think about my life. The winter was hard on me too. In truth, this last year, with all the covid stuff, the challenges of worship and gatherings, the decisions that needed to be made at different times, was really difficult. There are some bare spots in my life because of it. Worn down and bare, I seek ways to fill those spots in. But in the end, just like me making my grass seed grow, I cannot fill those spots in on my own. I might want to try but I have to finally say, "I can't do it." 

This is when I turn to the Word of God for strength and for filling in the bare spots in my life. Isaiah 55:10-11 states, "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it." What a wonderful promise the Lord gives in these verses. He will water my dry soul. He will cause the seed sown in my heart to sprout and to flourish. He will fill in those "bare spots" that some after a particularly difficult time. Instead of looking to myself, I look to the Lord. He waters me. He causes me to grow. He fills in all those areas for me. Praise be to God!

Yes, it is raining. What a lovely rain. If only Wrigley hadn't wanted to go out and play ball right when it was starting. Standing there in the rain, picking up and tossing the ball for my chocolate lab, I thought about how God stands in the rain, and takes care of me. I will run around here and there, getting soaking wet, and God will smile and stay with me the whole time.

What a wonderful God we follow. He loves us so much. As we are drawing close to Holy Week (this Sunday is Palm Sunday), we learn just how much He loves us. I look forward to seeing you in worship. If you are from another congregation, I will bet that your pastor would love to see you in worship too. Let's get together and see what the Lord has done and continues to do for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment