Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Jut some morning ramblings.

 I sit on the porch this morning, knowing that today will be an unbearably hot day. Tomorrow is going to be even worse. I sit and watch the sun rise and the birds sing. It truly is a lovely morning. Yet there are those things that are not so lovely. It is hot. It is dry. The grass is starting to turn brown, which is mighty early in the summer to have that happen. The crops in the fields are starting to be in distress for lack of water. 

Then I look off to the southwest. There is a large white cloud that continues to build. The sun shines off the cloud. The birghtness reminds me of the even of Jesus' transfiguration where we are told that Jesus garments shown like the sun, whiter than the whiteness made by bleaching them. That cloud was bright, white and amazing. Under that cloud, there would be rain. Rain that is watering the earth. Rain that is refreshing the earth, the plants, and the people. And while it might not be rain right here, at this place, where I want it, I give thanks to God. He is opening His hand and bringing relief to those who receive the refreshing rain.

Should I grumble that I do not get the rain here? My sinful, selfish nature would say, "Yes." After all, why should they receive rain when we need it over here? Why should their crops be refreshed when our crops over here need it? Why should I not see the rain, when I want it? Then I stop, think about it, and realize, I am only thinking of me. Instead of rejoicing that someone is getting rain, I am grumbling that I am not. How selfish of me. But what about...wait a moment, who are you thinking of? Me. Of course, me. Only me. How things affect me. How I want things. How I think it should be. How I want to be the one who receives. Me, me, me. 

We live very self-centered lives. Sin makes it that way. In most situations, we are looking out only for ourselves. Even when we try to say we are looking out for others, it often still comes back to "me." 

The Lord does not look at things that way. Instead, He looks out for "you." That is shown as He sends His Son into the world. Not for Himself but for you and me. He lives here on earth, not for Himself, but for you and me. He cares for those around Him. He watches over them. He loves them. Even when they are being self-centered, He still loves them. Thankfully it is that way. For I am so often self-centered and He still loves me.

He suffered and died for you and me. He went through that terrible agony of carrying the fullness of the Law, not because of anything He had done, but because of everything you and I have done. He took your place, my place and He was laid in the grave for you and me. He did it all, not for Himself, but for sinners who love only themselves. 

Then He rose! He rose from the dead! Imagine that. Why? Not for Himself. Not to help Himself. Not because He did not want to be dead. He rose for you and me. He rose and then said, "Because I rose from the grave, because I conquered death, you will too. Death shall not defeat you. Death shall not overcome you. He will rise and live with Me eternally." What amazing love. How unselfish of Him. 

Thank the Lord! that he was so unselfish. Thank the Lord for the new life and the new hope He gives. It might be raining over Rockport way, but I know, that is ok. That is what the Lord desired this day. Will He bring us rain? When it is time. I find that I wait patiently on the Lord. As I do, I rejoice in the whiteness of a storm cloud that reminds me of the purity of the Lord and the love He has for me. 

Then, as the heat builds, I will retreat into the air conditioned comfort and thank the Lord, that I can be comfortable. Now, let us go about our day, thinking of others, thanking the Lord and rejoicing in the air-cooled comfort. 


No comments:

Post a Comment