Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer time

You might be wondering why I haven't written lately. The reason - summer time. I know that summer is a time for less things to be taking place which means that I should have more time to sit and blog. But the reality is that I haven't made time to sit and put my thoughts down. Instead, I have decided to sit on the front porch and enjoy doing my devotions, reading the Word and reading various books. I could easily sit at the computer and write but I prefer to sit outside and read.

Suggestions for reading? I have several books I am reading now, all of which I am enjoying. I am reading "The Language of God" by Fancis S. Collins. It is as the cover states, "A scientist presents evidence for belief." While there are parts of the book I don't agree with (such as the age of the universe and the world), there are other parts that are amazing. I have learned about DNA, the Genome Project and a whole host of scientific things that I would never have dreamed that I would be reading about. It is a very good read and presents creation in a very positive light.

I am also reading "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" by Eric Metaxas. I have been one that has read a lot of different things on Bonhoeffer, having my interest in this Lutheran pastor begun when A.A.L brought out a video on the life of Bonhoeffer back in the 90's. Since then, I have spent countless hours reading the works of this highly influential Lutheran pastor from the '30s and '40s. While I have enjoyed this volume, I think that the author attributes far too much insight to Bonhoeffer. He was very insightful but I am not sure that he was as much of a "prophet" as the author makes him out to be. It is a good, long read which will give many insights into the working of the German Christian Church and the Confessing Church during the rise of Hitler to power and into the war itself.

The other book I am reading is by Francine Rivers. This one is actually made up of 5 shorter stories. it is called "Sons of Encouragement." Currently I am on the book called "Priest." It is about Aaron, Moses' brother. She does a fine job following the Bible in writing this novel about the life of a man who was a great support to Moses. You might enjoy this one.

So that is what I am doing at this time. After Rachael and Brandon's wedding, which was a great time, VBS started and then we moved on to the days of summer. We have taken Matt to ISU in Normal and to SIU-C in Carbondale. He is interested in finishing at SWIC and moving on to get his bachelors. Next week we go to Six Flags with the Junior High, a new venture for us here at St. Paul's as we begin a ministry to our Junior High Students. The last week of the month Penny and I take the Texas Eagle (Amtrak train) to San Antonio, TX for a few days. We enjoy the nice, relaxing travel of the train. I am so looking forward to that trip. And then, it will be almost time to start school.

There are many things I am still wanting to accomplish this summer. Will it happen? Who knows. But it is fun living these days of hot, sunny weather (though at the moment, it is hot, sticky and cloudy. Is it supposed to rain?). I will be talking to you again later. Hopefully, regularly. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment