Thursday, January 26, 2017

Exhibiting the Fruit of the Spirit and love of Christ.

"There's just no explaining the things people do." (lyric by Phish, song "Things People Do.") This is what I think after this week following the inauguration of Donald Trump as president. No, this is not a political rant in favor or Pres. Trump nor is it a rant against Pres. Trump. It has nothing to do with how I feel about former Pres. Obama. It has to do with the way that people are acting.

There are rants after rants going on. Facebook is swamped with political rants. Some are very supportive while others are adamantly opposed to the new president. Folks have left Facebook because of the way things are being thrown out in front of others. There is news after news being presented. How much of it is true is hard to say. What is fake news and what is real news? I can't tell any longer. Friends have unfriended their friends. Relationships have been broken. All because of the things being said and done on FB. 

Seriously? I am sorry to such things taking place. It shouldn't be. Anger. Bitterness, Rage. These are not fruits of the Spirit. No, they are the ways of the flesh. It is one thing to see those who are not of Lord acting in such fashion. One cannot expect for the non-Christian to exhibit the fruits of the Spirit. But these are Christians acting in this way. As sad as it makes me, I wonder how the tears must fall from the eyes of our heavenly Father. (Please note, I am not talking against any one person or one position. I am talking about people on both sides of whatever issue is being bantered about at the moment.)

I fear that because of such things there will be a fall out at church. People will feel that the church is not supportive of their point of view and will therefore leave the church. Yes, I actually am afraid that will happen. I pray that it doesn't. I have done my best to keep the political rants off the church page, out of the relationships between people. I have avoided saying anything on FB either for or against the current situation. Why? Because I do not want to cause offense where I should not cause offense. 

Now, if someone was to attack the message of the cross, that would be a different issue. I would have to take a stand with Christ Jesus. But even then, I will do all I can to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit in my discussion with others.

My prayer is that people will treat each other with the love and respect they themselves wish to be shown. "Do unto others as you would have them do to you." The Golden Rule is something that we need to remember.

So my friends, if you are reading this, know that you are still loved by the Lord Jesus Christ. Know that the church is still a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. It is where you can still hear the Word of God which will feed your soul. Know that you are still able to come into the house of God and receive the Sacrament for refreshing and strengthening of your soul. Please, oh please, let us be kind to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, each one of us has been forgiven.

Amen. May it be so. Amen.

1 comment: