Monday, September 21, 2020

Another trip around the sun

 Another year has come and gone. Today I celebrate another trip around the sun. It has been a challenging trip, a good trip, a joyous trip. Thhe first half of the year was good, the second half was also good, though it had some major bumps and grinds. This whole covid thing has really challenged all of us as we have gone through these days. 

I am thankful to the Lord for all the blessings that He has given me through this year. I thank God for the life that I have been given. Today, I look out my window, watching the sun beginning to brighten on the eastern horizon, thinking about life. 

I am blessed with a great family. Penny is a blessing to me. She has walked with me through all the years of my life except the first 17 years. I thank God for her and all she has done for me, the love she shares and the joy she brings to me. I give thanks for my children Rachael and Matthew and their spouses Brandon and Chelsey. I have to say that they were not difficult in their younger years. They were a joy to have around and I find myself missing them each day, as we are all living our lives in the places that the Lord has placed us. I also give thanks for Shirley, Penny's mom, as she has become a big part of our lives and I look forward to having her move to Clarinda.

I give thanks to the Lord for the friends and church members that I have come to know and care for. There are many that I truly do love. They became a part of my life and are in my heart. They have a special place in my heart as I have been able to give them the gift of love through Jesus Christ. Each one of you who are special to me, I love you. Thank you for being who you are and being a special part of my life. I give thanks to the Lord for you.

I look back and see the places the Lord too us, and I am amazed. Vicarage in north/central Iowa (Osage), St. Louis, Wisonsin, then back to Illinois at Harvel, Ferrin, Altamont and Troy, and now in back to Iowa, Clarinda. Who would have thought that the state I began in the ministry (Iowa) may well be the place where I bring that to a close (though I have many more years ahead of me, Lord willing).  Each of those places brought their own joy and challenges. Were they always good? I would love to say yes, but that would mean I wasn't leading the congregations. There were challenges because we moved forward to proclaim Christ in our communities. Sometimes we faced challenges and difficulties, but the Lord always moved us through those times so that the Gospel would be proclaimed. I have to say I have many more happy and blessed memories from each of those congregations than I could ever list. And the people that are now a part of life, here in Clarinda, are truly a blessing for Penny and me. I sat in church yesterday morning, looking out at the folks that were there, and thinking, "Thank You Lord. These are special people." (Let me be honest, I have said that each place I have served. I gave thanks for each place I served and I loved the people that the Lord had given to me to lead and care for.)

Each day is a blessing from the Lord. As I think about being another year older, I thank God. I thank Him for His love, His grace, His forgiveness, His strength, His mercy and all that I have received from Him day after day.

I want to thank each of you for the birthday wishes. I look forward to what this year will bring. I ask the Lord to lead me through them. Yes, He is my Shepherd who will guide me along whatever path He takes me. 

Lord, thank You for today, the sunrise, the love and the blessing. I bow my head in humble adoration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment