Thursday, November 5, 2020

Peace in uncertain times.

 So much uncertainty. Many people, myself included, thought that we would be moving past the election on Tuesday, having a president elected. It didn't matter which side you supported, I would think that you were hoping for the same thing. Then the nation could begin to move forward, either with one man reelected or one man elected. As you go into an election, you have no idea how the outcome will be. So there is uncertianty. But that didn't happen. Here it is, 2020 +2 days and we are still waiting. Both sides are jockeying for position to try to declare that they have won. And the people of the nation wait, uncertain of the outcome. 

It is that way in a many areas of our lives. There is uncertainty when it comes to health, to jobs, to relationships, to covid-19 and a whole host of other areas. Uncertainty causes nerves to be on age. It causes people to begin to feel frustrated. What can be done?

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:27 ESV) Jesus comes to bring peace to our lives. It isn't peace in the sense that the world sees or expects peace. We want peace to be in such a way that there is no conflict. We know that there will be conflict in this world. When the angels spoke to the shepherds on the night of Jesus' birth, they said, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (Luke 2:14 KJV) What peace? It is a peace with God. 

For the Savior came to save from sin, death and the devil. He came to bring peace with God among people, for the sinner is separated from God. Through faith in Christ, forgiveness is given, which brings peace to the heart. In Christ, there is forgiveness and in that forgiveness comes peace that passes all human understanding. 

Can we have certainty? Yes, in Christ. But can we have certainty in these uncertain times? Yes indeed, in Christ. But there is so much that we do not know or do not control That is right. The reality is, there is so much that we do not control. I work hard to be in control of my health. I do the things I am supposed to do. At times, I feel pretty certain things are well. But then there are times, such as now, following a total knee replacement, that I am not in control. I want to feel good. I want pain and discomfort to go away. I do the physical therapy and the exercises. But I am not in control. And this brings uncertainty. It frustrates me. But instead of focusing upon the pain or the discomfort and the uncertainty, I need to take my eyes off that which I cannot control, and fix my eyes upon that which is certain - my Lord Jesus Christ. He will fill my heart with assurance and certainty. Is it easy? No. Is it possible? Yes. As the Holy Spirit gives me strength through faith in Christ.

It is that way with the election. You cannot control the election. But you can have peace knowing that in the election, whichever candidate wins, the Lord is still in control. If you support Biden, you want him to win. If you support Trump, you want him to win. You have probably done everything you could to make that happen. But in the end, the outcome of the election will be according to the will of the Lord. It is tough to say that if your candidate loses. But it has to be said. Whoever wins, we need to put our hearts forward, and pray for the winner, that the Lord will guide him. And we should pray for the one who loses. Why? Because that is the way that we should be as Christians. Will we agree with whoever is elected? Of course not. Even if it was your candidate, I am sure that there will be things that he does that you will not agree with. But it should be that we pray for each candidate, as well as for those who are in the midst of all the swirling controversy of the ballot counting. 

Certainty in an uncertain time. That is what we have in Christ. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7 ESV)

May that peace come into your life, and help you to face another uncertain day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment