Friday, February 12, 2021

The Left Knee is gone.

There I lay, unaware of what was taking place. Oh, I know what was coming. But I did not know how it would go. What am I talking about? My surgery. Thursday I arrived at the hospital in Clarinda, was checked in manually (the computers were down because the wifi wasn't working). It was cold but not as cold as it was going to get. Want do to central waiting, was called by and began to get ready for surgery. My left knee was going to be replaced. IV started. Leg shaved (even the toes, that always gets me, cause I don't ahve hairy toes. Do you?). The a run through with the guy that puts you out (I have trouble spelling that "a" word). The Doctor signed my leg. Yes, it is the left leg. The 6 inch scare on the right knee might be telling as to which one is to be done. But that is ok, I have a famous person's signature. The bummer of it, it is washed off when they are cleaned the leg. 

Then waited and waited. The doctor has another surgery before mine. That is all right. I can wait. The nurse comes in and says it is time. Hurrah! I think. I text Penny one more time and we are rolling. She pushed the button, the doors open and there, in front of me, is the room. Cold? Yes, but not as cold as outside. I shift from the guerney to the operating table. I sit on the side of the bed, wrapped in warm blankets. Looking around, I see trays of parts. Drills and other instruments of destruction. Is this garage or an operating room? Are they working on a used car or a used knee? 

Lean over, I am told. The gas guy feels my back to find where the spinal block is to go. The he washed it. Last time it was much colder, the wash. Guess it depends on what you are used to. In October, we had warm weather, remember that? I sat on the porch in shorts. Won't do that this time. So the wash was cold, but not as stark as last time. Then I laid down. I remember the nurse saying she had a place for my right arm and that is all I remember 

This is where I began. I lay there, unaware of what is taking place. I haven't even watched a YouTube video of it. I started one but stopped as soon as they were cutting the knee, and that was an animated video. Couldn't do it. They worked on the leg. Cuit, sawed on it, Drilled it. I guess they cement it or glue it or something - the parts they put in. Penny said the doctor had to use a little larger piece to give better stability. Stability. A garage or an operating room. The doctor did want he needed to do, stapled me together, put on the compression bandage, gauze, and ace bandage.

Of to recover, which I had no clue about. Texted Penny and the family. Still had not clue. Moved to my room. While she waited, Penny visited with one of our members. That was really nice of Susan Hicks to spend some time with Penny. The fellowship of the church is a powerful thing. Supporting one another, talking with one another, that is what we do. Help each other. I have to say thank you to everyone who were praying for me. You wrapped me tightly in your prayers and I felt safe and secure going into surgery. I was in the Lord's hand. I was supported by people from St. John, from thoughout the community and from around the nation. It is humbling to know that so many people care for me that they were praying for me. I give thanks to God for the love that all of you were showing. Thank you.

Then in the room. Had great nurses. I kept saying 3:30 but Penny told me it was closer to 2:30 when I arrived there. Who do I listen to? The person who texts weird things or the person who was able to think straight? So it was probably closer to 2:30 than 3:30. People coming and going, I think. I really don't know who came in and talked with us. I remember that Bobby, the physical therapist came in and got me up. Walking. Still blows my mind. No pain! None! I could walk, small steps and not have pain. Imagine that! Why? It was still numb from the medication I had been given. It did not hurt to move the leg. Amazing. Let me tell you, that started to change through the night and by Friday morning, let's just say I was thankful Seth had stayed on top of the pain meds and that Whitney followed up with making sure I had what I needed. 

I didn't sleep that well though. About every 10 minutes I would wake up. I had very vivid dreams, like petting my dogs, which I could feel and my hand was moving like I was petting them. I talked with Penny, which was real, but it was only a dream. Wild stuff. I guess that is what happens with the various medications I was on. But hey, I had no pain. Tried to sleep. Got in a little. Then awake, then a little. They would come. Even had to get up and get weighed at 4:15 a.m. Yep, that time of the morning I had to get out of bed, stand on the scale to get weighed. OK. I did it. You do what you are told. You might ask questions. But you still do what you are told. But weighing you at 4:15 in the morning. Craziness.

Overall, I would say it was a good experience, if getting a knee replaced can be a good experience. I felt good all night. But this evening, Friday evening, I can sure tell I had surgery. Ouch. Pain level? Sitting here about a 3-4. Putting my leg up on the stool, about a 7 or maybe 8. Thank the Lord for pain medicine. Can't imagine what it would be like without pain meds. 

Came home about 3 in the afternoon. Had to stop at Hyvee to get presciptions. Penny went in, I stay in the van and waiting. Did not want to walk that far. Before we left, we had to have the ace bandage of gauze taken off. When the nurse looked at she saw that it had bled through. When? Sometime during the night. Maybe when I had to get up and get weighed? What do you think? It was old blood.  Could have been anytime. All I know is that it needed to be changed. So they did change it. I did not watch or look. Last time it was changed and cleaned up (right knee), I had that terrible vegalling, when I black out. Oh that is a terrilb feeling. I made it through this whole surgery and recovery with having that happen. Thank You Lord! I am so thankful. Also haven't gotten sick when I arrived home, thanks to the patch they put behind my left ear. It is to help with nausea. So all in all, it has been a good experience.

There were things said or texted that I don't remember. Said some strange things. But that happens. Medication does that to a person. But I do say thank You Lord, for this procedure. I might have surgery pain but the knee pain itself is gone. That is a blessing. The Lord is good, all the time. All the time, the Lord is good. Doesn't mean He always gives me what I want. But what He gives me is good, how He cares for me is good. Thanks Lord. 

Thank you to all you who held Penny and me in your prayers. We greatly appreciate them. Keep them coming - for healing, for recovery, for patient for me, for strength for Penny as she cares for me (especially when I lose my patience), and just for us. Thank you. We lift you up in prayer too. What pleasure it is to be a part of the body of Christ. Each one supporting the other, held together in God's might hand. Wow. Powerful. Wonderful. The Body of Christ is a great army of prayer warriors. And I am receiving the benefits of that now. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment