Monday, September 27, 2021

A Surprise on Sunday morning.

 The morning started as it does each week. Bible study, worship and ready for the rest of the day. Arriving for church on Sunday morning, the tables were still set up for Clythia Brown's funeral lunch. Dave B. and I took the time to reset the tables for Bible study. Judy H. asked if we were supposed to do that. I did not understand what she was meaning. Of course we were. It was time for Bible study so we set the tables up like the were meant to be, as they were each week. There was going to be a Henke family thing, I was told. OK. But we still have Bible study. Normal morning.

The family was present as we moved Shirley Rex, Penny's mother, to Clarinda. Claud and Jim were there. Rach, Matthew and Chelsey were also there. So great being able to worship with the family. Having mom here will be great being able to worship with her. So the morning was normal. I could smell the food being cooked for the event taking place. I didn't think anything about it. I was enjoying spending time worshiping with the St. John family. It is good to be here.

As the service ended, folks were leavning. Only they weren't I did not realize it but they were heading downstairs. I was greeting folks and they were leaving, so I thought. But they weren't. They were heading down for a party. What party? I didn't even see it happening. The kids came out, and we were going to the local Chinese rest. for lunch. They were going to go get a table. That made perfect sense, considering there was 12 of us and they don't have a lot of big tables. Another piece of the puzzle.

Penny was looking for me. I was doing my normal stuff. I wanted to check to see who someone was, if they signed the friendship register. Talked with Casey about it. He helped me figure out who it was. Penny and I headed down to get our things from the office and head to lunch. I figured mom must have been with Claud and Jim, since they brought her to church. 

One last thing, Penny says. You need to go downstairs. OK, I said. And I didn't even think about it. As we walked downstairs, I asked what the folks were doing down there. Then I found out. It was a surprise party that Penny had been planning for the last month. I was completely surprised. I had no idea that it was taking place. No idea at all. 

I was overwhelmed. I cannot express my appreciated for the outpouring of love that was shown . I guess it isn't so bad turning 60 years old. I can say that. Instead of the 21 anniversary of my 39th birthday, it is my 60th birthday. The Lord has blessed me.

I want to thank Penny, Rach, Matt, Chelsey for the surprise. I thank the various members of the congregaiton who worked with Penny - Sandy, Jackie, Jessica, Judy, and a whole host of other people. I thank all of you who were able to come and celebrate with me. I thank those of you who weren't able to make it but sent your best wishes in a variety of ways. I want to thank my St. John family for this outpouring of love. 

And I thank the Lord for bringing me to this point of my life. He has blessed me day after day. He is with me in all that goes on. And He is the One who brought me here. Thank You, dear Lord. Thank you.

Now, I move into this new week, with a new feeling of love, and friendship. I am hoping I can return that love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment