Sunday, September 12, 2021

One day later, 20 years later.

 Apple butter. It was cooked and canned. The kettles were cleaned. The fires were out. But in New York City, Washington D.C., and Shanksville, PA, the fires continued. The smoke filled the air. Death. Destruction. Horror. The nation sat in shock, having watched over and over again, the planes, the towers, the collapse and the outcome. 

I remember that time. I had to quit watching the news reports. It finally was overload. I had to shut the news off. Enough was enough. It wasn't that I did not care. It was emotionally overwhelming. 

Yet on the next day, 9/12, there was a sense of unity in the country. People standing together. That part I did not need to turn off. To see politicans standing shoulder to shoulder, Republican, Democrat, Independent. All standing there in support of the United States of America. There was community after community coming together, supporting the nation, singing the Star Spangled Banner, waving the flag.

More than that, they began to pray. People were praying. Over and over again, people lifted up their hearts in prayer. They turned to the Lord. They asked Him for strength, for comfort, for healing, for help. Soon, wherever you went, you would see signs saying "Pray for America." Churches opened their doors, and people came. Special services were held, and people came. It did not matter what day of the week or what time of the day, when a church had a special prayer service, people came. They prayed. They turned to the only One who was their Rock, their strength.

Psalm 46:1-3 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its water roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. This became the word that gave people comfort. I thought of the hymn, "A Mighty Fortress." Indeed, God is our very present help in trouble. On 9/12, and the days following, this really became real for many people They saw the Lord as the One who could bring them comfort and help in this time of national tragedy. 

I look at this and know that the Lord is my comfort, my strength, my help in everything that goes on in my life. Not just on 9/11 and 9/12, but every day. Each day, I trust in the Lord. Living in a broken world, a world where pain and suffering is a reality, it is only the Lord that can guide me through each day. That is why I praise His name. I look to the cross of Jesus Christ, I look at the empty tomb, and I know, Jesus is the Victor. He has defeated our greatest enemies, sin, death and the power of the devil. He has overcome my fears. He has defeated my enemies. 

In His hand I live. In God I trust. He alone is my Savior, my strength, my comfort. I praise His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment