Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Time change thoughts

 Time to eat supper. We must be eating late today. Why? It is dark outside. So that must mean that it is much later than usual. The sun has set shortly after 5, and the skies are growing dark. But wait, it is the regular time to eat supper. What happened? 

Daylight savings time has come to an end. We have returned to standard time. This has caused many to have that discussion - do we still need to have the time change? The numbers each year seem to grow, those who don't like the time change. Will it be brought to an end? Will the country cease to celebrate what some call "outdated" and "no longer needed"? Each person probably has an opinion on it.

Do I? Of course. I like the fact that the sun comes up earlier with standard time - especially in November, December and January. But that means the sun goes down earlier in the evening. I did not like the fact that the sun wasn't coming up at 8 in the morning. That would get later and later, pushing towards 8:30 and later. That would drive me nuts. But at the same time, I do not like it getting dark earlier. Yet, at the same time, evenings are the times when I have meetings, and other events, when I am inside anyway, then it really doesn't make a lot of difference. 

Staying at standard time would mean that sunrise in the summer would be mighty early. It would be around 4:00 a.m. I don't think I would like that. I know, those who live in Alaska and the far north have long daylight hours and long nighttime hours. I couldn't do that. You can have it. 

So what am I saying? As much as I don't like time change, because it messes with my sleep patterns, I think I like it. I like how it changes things in the winter, getting sunlight earlier in the day. I like the changes in the summer, staying light later. Do we need it? No, we don't need it. But I hope we keep it. 

Those are my thoughts. Good luck with yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment