Wednesday, August 18, 2010

First day of school

It is official - the 2010-11 school year began today (Aug. 18th). School began today. And it was a joy. I really enjoy seeing the kids coming in with their parents. What was especially nice to see was that the students came in wearing their uniforms. I knew that it was going to be nice seeing the students in their uniforms but it was much better than I hoped for - it was very attractive. The tan shorts, pants, skorts or jumpers with the red, white or black shirts was really nice. I am going to wear my new St. Paul's dress shirt tomorrow - bought from Land's End. I think I might check with Fisher to see what they have for adults in dress shirts.

The school is coming alive. We have 98 students in our school (preschool-8th grade). We have numerous new families for which we give thanks as well as those families who are returning. I thank God for each student and each family. You should too! Offer up your prayers for the students.

We have a great staff as well - beginning in the front office and moving into the classroom. I enjoy working with each of the teachers. What I also enjoy is that I have the opportunity to get into each classroom to teach religion. I teach confirmation to the 7/8 grade on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I also teach one religion class a week in Kindergarten, 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6 grade. I am blessed to lead chapel every Wednesday morning for the morning preschool and the K-8 and also chapel for the afternoon preschool. Wow! It is great to see that the teachers and staff are willing to welcome me into their classrooms and their student's lives. I admire the teachers for their ability to be in the classroom day after day. Thank God for them.

Today my wife, Penny, substituted in the Kindergarten class because Laura Thomas's dad is in the hospital following a terrible farm accident. We pray that the Lord would be with him and pray that things go well with his leg. Please Lord! I am impressed that Penny is able to slip into the classroom so easily. I would have not been able to do that very thing. The Lord gave her some amazing talents.

OK, so it is just some thoughts running through the mind on the evening of the first day of school. Tomorrow, day 2, and I am sure that I will feel the same way. God be with all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment