Sunday, August 15, 2010

School begins

This is the week that school begins. There are great cries of anguish from the children around the nation. While at the same time there are great cries of joy from parents. This is the time of year that I enjoy. When the school year was done in May, I was ready for the summer. I was glad that I would have time out of the classroom. But now, here it is August, and I am ready to be back in the classroom. I have missed the students and the excitement of teaching. Yes, there is an excitement in teaching.

As I think about that, I think about our teachers. I am in the classroom one hour a day teaching confirmation class. Our teachers begin their day in the classroom at 8 a.m. and school is over at 3 p.m. That is 7 hours in the classroom with the students. Here at St. Paul's, our teachers don't have those "free" planning hours to get ready for their classes. They end up spending hours after school grading papers, preparing lesson plans and doing a variety of things around the school. I just can't see myself in the classroom hour after hour. That is probably why the Lord lead me into the pastoral ministry rather than the teaching ministry.

As school begins, take a few moments to thank your child's teacher/s. Remember that they will be in contact with your child 5 days a week - perhaps more than you will be through out the school year. Pray for your child's teacher/s. Ask the Lord to guide them, to open their hearts and minds to His Word which should be a lamp unto their feet and a light unto their path. Pray that they will teach your child true morality, based upon the way that the Lord wants us to live not the way the world wants.

And pray for your child, that he/she will listen to and follow the guidance of their teacher. Pray that they will be open to learning and growing. Pray for yourself as a parent, that you will be quick to listen, slow to speak and even slower to become angry. Pray that the Spirit will guide you in your walk of faith that you may be able to be the Christian parent for your child - guiding them in what you say and what you do.

Yes, it is time for school to begin. Bring on the students. We are ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment