Saturday, December 8, 2018

Day #3 of Advent devotions "Song of the Season"

Continuing the thoughts on the Songs of the Season.


Day # 3 “Lift Up Your Heads, Ye Mighty Gates”

Redeemer, come and open wide
My heart to Thee; here, Lord abide!
O enter with Thy grace divine;
Thy face of mercy on me shine.
Thy Holy Spirit guide us on
Until our glorious goal is won.
Eternal praise and fame
We offer to Thy name. LSB # 342 vs. 5


Eternal praise! That actually seems like an overstatement. We know that we are going to let slip away from our attention that which Advent and Christmas are all about. We will forget because we will become wrapped up in the colorful paper, the pretty ribbons, the tasty cookies, the fun parties and life in general. There will be those glorious fun times. And there will be those times that just wear on us – going to work, housework, washing clothes, driving the kids around, doing homework, facing the problems of health, the heart that hurts, the cancer that sucks away our life, the diabetes that challenges our every meal and movement. Yes, we will forget to praise the name of the Lord.

But wait! That doesn’t stop the eternal praise. The saints in heaven, those who are free of this world, will be praising the name of the Lord eternally! They will praise Him even as we start to crumble under the pressures of life. And then we will remember that is exactly what the King of glory has come, because we are so weak, because we cannot do it ourselves.

Come Redeemer, buy us back from our pains, our sins, our sufferings. Redeem us! Holy Spirit, open wide my heart. Open wide my life. Even as I do not feel like opening my heart up, I know that You will be the One opening it for me. Come to me, guide me, help me. I am weak but You are strong. Come through this glorious Word. Come through the waters of Baptism. Come through the gifts of Communion. Come and give me what I am unable to give myself. Open my heart wide!

Abide in my heart, dear Lord. Come to me so I may lift up my thoughts, my voice, in praise to You! May I join with all those who have gone before me, those who are already in heaven, those who have received that crown of life from the King of glory, those who are singing the eternal praises! Yes, show my Your face of mercy so that I will be able to face tomorrow, or maybe tonight. Until that time when I so receive the goal of all that You have promised to me. The goal…ah, that blessed goal. Yes, I long for it.

Until then, come to me, abide with me, King of glory, righteous Helper, Redeemer, Lord of my life.

Prayer: Lord, I come to You today, asking You to guide me in my life. Help me to face today with a heart that is wide open to Your love, Your mercy, Your guidance. Send the Holy Spirit that I might be guided to that promised goal of heaven. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment