Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Day # 5 Devotion for Songs of the Season

Day 5 devotion for the Songs of the Season.


Day # 5 “Once He Came in Blessing”

Now He gently leads us;
With Himself He feeds us
Precious food from heaven,
Pledge of peace here given,
Manna that will nourish
Souls that they may flourish. LSB # 333 vs. 1

The 2nd emphasis of Advent – the Lord coming into our heart and lives. That is where we find ourselves today. Come, Lord Jesus, into my heart, my life, into my day-to-day existence. For I am struggling each day. I face temptation. I face trials and tribulations. I face pain and agony. I face the consequence of my sin. I face more than I can handle.

That is why He comes to us daily. He comes to lead us. He comes to help in those times why we are unable to help ourselves (which happens to be all the time!). We think we can do it on our own, but we can’t. We need Him. So, He gently leads us, as a shepherd leads his sheep, not driving them along with an iron hand and hard rod, but with a gentle voice that walks before, even as He has gone before us to the cross, the grave and the resurrection. Leading us along the way.

And He feeds us. Do you catch what is talked about here? It is the Lord Supper, Holy Communion, the Sacrament of the Altar, however you want to call it. He feeds us with His body – take and eat, this is My Body given for you. He gives us to drink of His blood – take and drink, this is My blood of the new covenant, shed for you for the forgiveness of sin. Thanks be to God! We are given this precious food to nourish us, to fill us, to strengthen us along the path of life.

Manna from heaven, food from God. It nourished the bodies of the Israelites for 40 years as they wandered in the wilderness. Manna from heaven, given to nourish you and me as we struggle in this wilderness of life. Given to strengthen us as we face those trials and tribulations, as we face the pains and sufferings of this life.

Give so our souls may flourish! Flourishing souls. Instead of wasting away, which is what it often feels like, our souls are flourishing each time we eat and drink His body and blood. Flourishing souls that are strengthened to face yet another day. Thank You Lord. Feed me.

Prayer: Lord God, feed this poor, weak soul so that it may flourish and thrive each day, following Your voice, Your lead each day of my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment