Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Day #6 of Week #1 devotions for "Songs of the Season"

We bring the 1st week to a close with this devotional thought.


Day #6 “Once He Came in Blessing”

Soon will come that hour –
When with mighty power
Christ will come in splendor
And will judgment render,
With the faithful sharing
Joy beyond comparing. LSB #333 vs. 3

Here is the 3rd way that we face Advent. We prepare for the coming of the Lord on the Last Day. He will come again! We know that. We long for that, just maybe not today. Wait, did I just say that? Do you ever think that? I know some of you reading this will say, “I am ready for the Lord to come. I have lived a long, full life and I am just waiting for that day when He takes me to heaven.” God bless you. That is a wonderful thing to say, and even more wonderful to live each day.

But there are those of us who say, “Come Lord Jesus” just not at this moment. Why? Because I am wanting to see that child grow up. I am waiting for the Cubs to win their 2nd World Series in my lifetime. I desire to _____________. You fill in the blank. While we say we are getting ready, we still have things in this life to do. That is all right. Just don’t forget this emphasis, Christ is coming again, coming soon. So, hold fast in faith.

Soon He will come with power. Yes, with mighty power. All eyes will see Him. All people will know that He is the King of kings, the Lord of lords, the Savior of the world. For some it will be a judgment they do not want to hear. “Depart from Me, I don’t know you.” Terror! But for those who believe in Jesus as their Savior, it is a day of great judgment, a day when we shall hear, “Well done, my good and faithful servant. Enter the kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.” What a joy it will be to hear that voice of the Savior, to feel His love, to have His loving eyes upon you. Come Lord Jesus.

Those who do believe in Jesus, both living and the dead, will be reunited. The dead will rise, full of the Lord’s glory, whole, complete, body and soul reunited. Those who are alive will be changed, in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye. At the last trumpet. Oh, what a day that shall be. Eternity beginning for each of us. New life, eternal life.

What joy! Beyond comparing. To what can I compare it? To nothing I know right now. I can’t find the words. Just able to say, “praise be to God for this new life, this eternal life. Thank You.”

Prayer: Come, Lord Jesus, and take each of us to be with You in heaven. When the time is right, may I be ready, believing in You, holding fast in faith. What joy shall fill my heart! Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment