Thursday, February 27, 2020

The walk

So Lent began yesterday, in case you missed it. Ash Wednesday is the beginning of the season. How did that go for you? Did the season begin with a big bang? Or did it come in with a whimper? Last night was a powerful time of worship as we focused on the work of Jesus Christ and our need for all that He offers to us through faith. We joined together in worship. I give thanks to the Lord for all that He has done for each one of us.

But today is the next day. I wonder to myself, what impact did Ash Wednesday have upon my Thursday? In many ways, it is like the day after a funeral. On the day of the funeral, every one thinks about the fact that death is possible each day. You think about how you need to spend more time with family. You need to call family and friends that you haven't called lately. You think that because of your mortality, you need to make the most of every day. Then you go home, and life returns to normal. You go back to the way it was before the funeral. Life slips back into the normal routine.

Has that happened to you today? Is today any different from the day before Ash Wednesday? When you face your sinfulness, do you still plan on trusting the Lord, and following His guidance so that you will overcome those temptations that come your way. Special devotions, reading the Bible, saying extra prayers, and so on. Does that continue today or are you too busy? Will you start your day with the Lord, with the Lenten focus? Or will the day be too busy for you to do those things?

I know, it is challenging. Am I using guilt to get myself to follow through with the things I said to myself yesterday? No. The Law doesn't motivate me to do anything. I will follow through because I know how much I need the Lord to be with me today. Being in Lent doesn't add anything to my need. My need was the same on Tuesday as it was on Wednesday and as it is today, Thursday.

I need the Holy Spirit to guide me. I need the Holy Spirit help me to overcome temptation. I need the Holy Spirit to strengthen my faith. And I know this one thing: The Spirit is with me and will strengthen me in all that I do.

I am walking down the path of faith today. Today, Thursday, is a day in which I will focus on the Lord and not on myself. Hold Thou the cross, before my eyes today!

No comments:

Post a Comment