Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Reflection for this morning

 The slap that is heard around the world. Do you know what I am talking about. I have heard several different people on the news refer to it that way. If you have not heard about it, good for you. Those who have heard about it, probably wish you had not. What am I talking about? Will Smith slapping Chris Rock during the Oscar awards. 

I condemn his actions. Will Smith was wrong. That type of action, which is assault, should not take place. You might say he was just protecting the honor of his wife. OK, I get that. But physical violence is not the answer. For if Will Smith can do that, why can't I? If he can act that way when he feels that something inappropriate was said, why can't someone else? It was just a slap. What? So it is OK to slap someone because you do not like what he or she said? Nope, it is wrong. He should not have done it. He was wrong for doing it.

If it was all right, then what is to stop someone that gets upset with what I say in a sermon on Sunday morning from coming up and slapping me? Or what is to stop someone who hears you say that they do not like, from coming up to you and slapping you? Nothing. So it is wrong for him to do such a thing.

But then again, it put the Oscars back into the public view. I did not even know they were going on. Did you? But now many people are back to talking about them. Should they take Will Smith's award from him? Who would even think about that question if it was not for the action he did? Did you know any of the movies that were given awards? I did not. I did not care. I think that many people did not care. But now all of a sudden, we are hearing about it once again. 

More than that, I wish they would just let it go. It was wrong. Will Smith was wrong for what he did. But why keep talking about it? Why keep giving him more air time? Many news networks have spent more time with this slap than they have with other news worthy items. Let it go. Condemn it, and move on. Yet they will not. We hear it again and again. Just stop.

As I think about it, I think that we need to learn two things. 1) Be careful how you talk about someone else. This is an 8th commandment issue. "Speak well of him..." Let your words, the things that you say, be worthy of the child of God. Do not make fun of people. Do not speak poorly of people. Instead, build people up. Speak positively. Let your words build others up and bring glory to the Lord. Ask yourself, is what you are saying something that you would say if you were standing in front of Jesus Himself? Because remember this, He is with you in everything you are doing.

2) Physical violence is wrong. This is a 5th commandment issue. We should protect our fellow humans. We should not physically attack them. Instead, we should protect the physical well being of others. Do not hit others. Do not hurt or harm our neighbor in his body. Do not slap someone because you do not like what they said. 

Well, I guess that is enough said about this situation. Now, to go out and live according to what I just said. Lord, help me to live as Your child, in words and in actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment