Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Here it is! Lent has arrived.

 Lent begins today. Today is called Ash Wednesday. It will be 40 (46) days till Easter at this point. We will spend the next 6 weeks focused on the actions of Jesus Christ. Often the focus of Lent becomes what we do. What will we give up? How will we prepare ourselves? How deeply will we repent of our sins? Looking at ourselves, we feel like we are getting ready for the Passion of our Lord.

But wait a moment, it really isn't about us. Our actions, our piety, our prayers, are not to be the focus of Lent. The focus is upon His Passion. Jesus takes our sins. For our sake he (God) made him (Jesus) to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (2 Corinthians 5:21 ESV) God sent His Son to be our Savior. The focus of our lives is not to be upon our actions, for that takes us back to the Law, but upon His actions, for He alone is the One who can pay the price of our sins. Yes, I do pray, as I do every day. I do devotions, as I do every day. I do works of piety, as I do every day. But those are not the focus of my life of faith. My focus is my Savior Jesus Christ.

Thank You Jesus for becoming a man for me, for my salvation. Thank You for taking my sins. Thank You for taking upon Yourself my sins. I praise Your name that I have been given new life through the waters of my Baptism, dead to sin and alive to God in You. Living in my Baptism, I see the new life that You have given me. 

These next 40 days will be ones that are filled with the working of the Holy Spirit through Word and Sacrament in my life. I repent of my sins, even as I do every day. Returning to my Baptism, I walk this path to the cross of Jesus Christ, following my Savior, who walks the path in my stead. 

Lent is here. Bring it on! For I look to Jesus Christ alone! Praise be to Him for His life, His death and His resurrection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment