Thursday, April 14, 2022

Starting the day

I have a hard time thinking about what it must have been like for Jesus on that Thursday morning. Nothing that happened was a surprise to Him. He knew what was going to take place later that day. He knew that within 24 hours, He would be hanging on a cross. He had told His disciples numerous times that He was going to die on the cross. Just as recently as earlier in this week He had told them that the Son of Man would be lifted up and would draw all people to Himself. John records that He said this to show what kind of death He was going to die. No surprise to Jesus.

I was thinking about today being Maundy Thursday, the day He tells us to love one another as He loves us, then showing us that He gives us the Sacrament of the Altar, where we receive His body and blood in, with, and under the bread and wine. Loving us greatly, He goes to the cross. So when He rises on Thursday morning, He knows what the day is going to bring. 

What a weight to carry. I think about how difficult it is to get up when you know that you are going to have to face a rough day. When you have to go to the bosses office for a situation that is difficult, makes it hard to get going. I think about how difficult it was to get up and face the day when I was going to have a complete knee replacement, or when I was going to have to have another heart cath. It made the day overwhelming to face, a weight on the shoulders. 

Can you imagine how it must have been for Jesus? We get a feeling for that when He is in the Garden of Gethsemane. He was overwhelmed. He as carrying a heavy weight (my sins, your sins, the full weight of the Law). He prayed to the Father, sweating the great drops of blood, having an angel come to comfort and strengthen Him. We see the weight. 

Starting that Thursday, knowing what was coming. He sends His disciples to set up the place for them to eat the Passover, knowing what was to come later. "This is my body," He says. "This is my blood poured out for you for the forgiveness of sins." He knows that He will give His life for the salvation of all people. He knows that as He sits down for breakfast that morning. Was He able to eat breakfast? I know what I am very nervous about something, eating is difficult. Was He able to eat? I just can't imagine.

I am so thankful I really don't know what each day will bring. Yes, I make plans. I have a schedule that tells me what will take place. I pray to the Father that He would lead me through the day, praying that what I plan is according to His will. Then I go about my day. Thankfully, I do not know all that will take place. 

But Jesus did. And I cannot imagine what it must have been like for Him. I give thanks that He went through the day, moving steadily to the cross, to the grave and then, to the resurrection! Thanks be to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment