Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Thinking about the resurrection

 The week has been ticking along. Today is the middle of the week. Just another week, another day of doing the regular daily chores. Going to work. Going to school. Going about the day as a retired person. Living as a single parent. Living as a married couple. Living as a single person. Living as an older person. The days continue on.

Today is Wednesday. Here is the question: What did this last weekend have to do with your everyday life? The weekend came. The weekend went. Some people went to church. Some people stayed home. Some people sang songs of praise. Some people did not even think about those songs of praise. Some people said, "He is risen!" Others did not even think about the resurrection. Does it make a difference?

Yes it does. For you see, Jesus rose from the dead on that first day of the week so many years ago. He died on the cross, was laid in the tomb and then came back to life. What does that mean? It means that He defeated sin, death and the devil. He faced the Law and paid the price for your sins. He took on the power of the devil and defeated him. He was placed in the grave and rose victorious, destroying the power of the grave. 

He did that for everyone. You, me, every single person in this world. It did not matter if someone believed in Him or not. He died and rose for each and every person. He died and rose for the Roman soldier that crucified Him, for the pharisee that hated Him, for the disciple that followed Him, for the person who trusted in Him, for the person who did not trust in Him, for the person who followed Him and cried at seeing Him carrying the cross and for the person who could care less about what He did. Jesus death and resurrection was for all people, leaving no one out of that which He did.

So what does it mean for you? It means that Jesus died and rose for you. That which you need is to believe in Him as your Lord and Savior. Through faith in Jesus, you receive the blessings of forgiveneess of sins. Through faith in Jesus, you are given the promise of life eternal in heaven. Through faith in Jesus, you will receive the wonderful gift of the resurrection of the body on the Last Day. All who die believing in Jesus will rise to a new life, bodily, with a glorified body.

That carries me through the week. That encourages me on this Wednesday, to face today because Jesus Christ lives. He lives and grants me daily breath. He lives and I shall conquer death. He lives and is with me in everything I face each and every day. He lives to guide me through this Wednesday - in both the good and the bad, the positive and the negative. 

I can face today because Jesus lives for me! You can face today because He lives for you! Yes, I do need to believe in Him. Yes I do need to praise His name. Yes I do need to worship Him. Yes I do need to receive His body and blood in the Lord's Supper. Yes I do need to live in Christ each day. It makes a difference. I give thanks for His resurrection for it carries me through today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment