Wednesday, July 25, 2018

From the morning reading

I was coming to the end of Hosea. Quite a fascinating book. Talk about an object lesson! The Lord was doing all He could to get the attention of His people Israel. And they were not listening. I read this book and wonder, "How could they not get it?" It is pretty obvious to me what the Lord was trying to do. The people just didn't pay attention. Then I quickly turn my thoughts away from myself and my life, for in many ways, I am just like the people of Israel. I fail to see when the Lord is calling me back to Him. My hardness of heart kicks in. I figure that the Lord isn't talking to me, not me, not little ol' me. Have you been there?

But that isn't what I actually was going to write about. I read: "But I am the Lord your God from the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior." (Hosea 13:4 ESV) Truth! God saved them from Egypt. They didn't do it. For 400 years they cried out. They were not able to just up and leave any time they wanted. Otherwise they would have. Why? At first they had it good. Instead of returning to the land of their fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, they stayed in Egypt because they had a good life. Joseph saw to that. Plenty of food, good jobs, life of leisure, and no fears. So they stayed and you can say they overstayed their welcome. For soon all was forgotten and they just became another people trying to take over the nation of Egypt and were treated as such. Made slaves, forced to work, the good times part of their history but not part of their current situation. Then they cried to the Lord because they couldn't save themselves. When they realized it, things were in too bad of a shape and they were stuck.

God saved them. Moses, the plagues, the crossing of the Red Sea, Mt. Sinai, the wanderings, the water from rock, manna in the mornings, clothes that never wore out and a new land, which was really the old land. He saved them. No one else. Yet they would go to all the other 'gods' and worship them. They gave what should have been given to God to something else. How often have you done that? I know I have. Too often. You?  He alone saves. He alone has sent His only-begotten Son to be the Savior, of all people! All people! You, your neighbor, the person you work with, the person driving down the road! Everyone. He is the God who saves. Praise be to God.

Thank You Lord for speaking to me through Hosea. Please continue to speak through Your Word. Continue to guide me, for by myself, I am lost.

What a book. What amazing words. I will keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment