Monday, July 16, 2018

The Good Shepherd Leads You

Do you have trouble following the Lord's will in your life? Do you find it easy to follow His will? I would venture to say it depends on the situation. Each one of us are called to follow the Lord and do His will daily. As we do so, we will face temptations, trials and tribulations. While the Lord has promised to always be with us, to never leave us or forsake us, the things of life often cause us to take our eyes off the Lord.

We can say, "I will pray more." or "I will read the Bible more." We can focus on what we do, and think that will help us to follow the way of the Lord. Unfortunately, if we are relying upon ourselves to follow the Lord, we will be like sheep who stray. Something will attract our attention and we will find ourselves wandering off one direction or another. 

So what can we do? We can receive the gifts of God that are meant to strengthen us in our daily walk of faith. Notice I say "receive." They are given to us by the Lord. What are these gifts? Word and Sacrament. The Means of Grace. Where do we receive these? Right where the Lord tells us they will be - in worship. That is what worship is all about - receiving from the Lord. Yes, we do praise the Lord in worship, but that is in response to what He does for us. That is in response to receiving both Word and Sacrament. He promises to be there for us. His Word is trustworthy and true.

Then throughout the day, we listen to His voice. Have you ever noticed that the times when you struggle the most, is when you haven't listened for the voice of your shepherd? I know that happens to me. I get busy. I start to rely upon myself. And that is when I find myself starting to focus on ME and not on the LORD. When you focus on yourself, you will lose focus on the Lord. The Shepherd goes before you. You need to have eyes on Him and not on the things around you. If you are watching the Shepherd, those tufts of grass off the path don't entice. If you are following the Shepherd, those trials and tribulations aren't so big. You know that your Savior is bigger than they are.

So today, as I begin this day, as the focus is going to be on my Lord and not on my will, on His guidance and not my desire, on His love and not on my love for the world. For there, in Him, I know that He will lead me beside still waters, He will restore my soul, He will anoint my head with oil, He will keep me in His hand all day long. Thank You, Lord. 

1 comment: