Tuesday, December 15, 2020

All about snow

 I am going to say something controversial today. It may cause a terrible backlash and all sorts of negative comments. But I don't care. It has to be said. 

I like snow. That's right, I like snow. It snowed last Friday night and Saturday early morning. When I got up Saturday, I rejoiced. I like seeing all the white on the ground. It has stayed around to today, Tuesday, and there may be one more day before it starts to melt off. And I love it. 

No, I don't like the cold. That is the down side of snow, it comes when it is cold. And the only way that you can keep snow around is when it is cold. The last couple nights have been down in the teens. Yesterday morning when I got up it was 10 degrees. Brrrr. That is cold. So I had to bundle up, put on my winter coat, gloves and scarf. I used the seat warmer in the van. I had my heater going in my office at church because my feet get cold under the desk. 


But I still like snow. I sat in my office looking out at the blue sky, the trees covered in snow and I felt really good. It was beautiful. So, yes, I like snow. I prefer snow to a cold rain in the 30s or 40s. That just chills you to the bone, makes everything nast and isn't worth being out in at all. I really don't like it when instead of rain, it turns to ice. Ice is impossible to do anything with - you can't walk on it safely, driving on it is terrible and it often brings down tree limbs and power lines. Ice is terrible. 

Snow is better. Get several inches of the white stuff and it looks pretty. Get a foot of snow, and it is amazing. I love it when there is bunches of snow. Is it hard to get around in the snow? Sure. If you don't have to get out, there is no reason to get out. And for those who have to get out, snow is still much easier than ice. And it is wintertime. We are supposed to get snow. I remember one January when we lived in Illinois, we were getting a bunch of snow, and we had to get Penny's mom from the train station. The roads were snow covered but we were doing well getting to where we were going, till I follow the brown, which wasn't road but grass. Ugh, stuck in the ditch at the side of the interstate. Now what? Brandon and I got out to push the van out. Rachael was behind the wheel. Penny was praying. Push a van out of snow filled ditch? A 55 year old man and a 28 year old man. Really? Not happening. But we tried. I still say it was 1 1/2 men doing it. Brandon was the one and I was the half. We pushed. Nothing. We pulled. Nothing. We tried and tried. Nothing. Wasn't going to come out of that ditch. We tried one more time and the next thing we know it was on the road. What happened? If you ask me, I believe that there was another one there, an angel of the Lord helped us. That is the only way that it could have happened. We picked up Penny's mom at the train station, pulled out. We went to pull onto the road, to get through the snow on the ramp, got stuck again. Grrr. We got out to push out and 3 other guys stopped to help. It took 4 guys (I drove, so it wasn't 3 1/2 but 4) to push us out and we were just stuck in the snow on the ramp. 4 guys pushing and it took a lot to get pushed out - compared to 1 1/2 guys to push out of  a ditch. Hmmm. Now you begin to see why I think that we had a angel help us. 

Even with all that, I still like snow. You might think I am crazy. You might disagree. You might not like snow. And that is all right. I still do. And no matter what you say to me, won't change my mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment