Thursday, December 31, 2020

The year is ending, a new one is beginnning.

 Here we are on the cusp of the new year. I think back on how much hope there was when 2020 started. That all came grinding to a halt back in March. Who would have thought that 2020 would have gone the way that it did? I sure didn't. When the shut down happened, it was to flatten the curve, which became something much more. Is this virus real? Oh yes. There is no doubt that the virus is real. Have people died from this virus? Yes they have. Have hospitals been full of people with the virus? Yes indeed. At the same time, have many, many people gotten the virus and survived? Yes. Do people who have had the virus gotten over it without hospitalization and medication? Yes. My point? The coronavirus is real and is survivable. I know that each person will be able to respond with, "I know..." and then tell of somoene who died, someone who was really sick, someone who really had a hard time with the virus. I am not saying anything against that. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones because of the virus. I pray that the Lord will give to them healing in their lives and strength in their loss. 

At the same time, I have had numerous funerals this year, none of which were from the virus. I pray that will continue into 2021. Did St. John have members with the virus? Yes. And they recovered. Most of them recovered at home. Quarantine was the new way of life. Get sick, then isolate, that is how things have gone. I am sure that will be going on in 2021. I sure that we will continue to struggle with the virus throughout this new year. But then again, when it is gone, we will struggle with something else. I don't like to say it, but cancer is still a terrible disease through which many people struggle, get sick and finally die. It is so terrible. People hurt. People struggle. People go through each day with treatments, sickness, more treatments and a whole host of other things. 

I know, that sounds pretty grim. We don't like grim. Instead, we like things to sound rosy and happy. Show us puppy dogs, kitty cats and roses, all surrounded by beautiful sunsets. That is how we like to live. And to be honest, I like that too. I so enjoy taking picture of sunsets (and sunrises), eagles and other animals, trains and whatever catches my eye. I took many pictures throughout 2020, even with the limitations that were in place. With so many things shut down, we had to find different ways to go places and do things. I was amazed this last summer, when we went to the upper pennisula of Michigan, how many people were still traveling, but they were doing more outdoors things rather than indoors. Fresh air, open spaces and the wonder of nature was a big part of many people's lives. We were part of those who were doing that very thing. We just avoided hotels. We have stayed at a hotel only once since March. 

It was a good year in many ways. I had both eyes fixed, cataracts removed and lenses put in place. New glasses. I can see amazingly well. Still surprises me that I can take my glasses off and still see. I need them to read. That is so different. I also have a new knee. That also is amazing. I see the scar from the surgery and then walk without the pain. It is amazing how different it is to not have the knee pain. I give thanks to God for medical field who have done this amazing thing of putting a new knee in my body. Wow! Thanks Lord!

I pray that you will have a great 2021. The Lord will be with us no matter what takes place. There will be good times and bad times. There will be positive things and negative things. And in all, we will have the Lord Jesus Christ with us in all that we do. Look at 2021, and rejoice! Give thanks to God for the new year. And let's move forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment