Monday, January 31, 2022

Thinking about death

Betty White. Howard Hesseman. Peter Robins (the voice of Charlie Brown). Marvin Lee Aday (Meat Loaf). Louie Anderson. Joe Adams. Lee Converse. Walt Pritchard. What do all these people have in common? They have all died in 2022. There have been many, many people who have lost their battles with illness, disease, accidents, and other things. It hurts. To have a loved one pass away, really leaves a hole in the heart and life. Each time we hear of another person who has died, we find that we have to face that terrible enemy. Death and the grave. It seems so final. For the wages of sin is death... (Romans 6:23a) 

Death really hurts. It hurts those who are left behind. It crushes the heart. It leaves a hole in the person's life who is left behind. Tears run down the cheeks. Days seem dark. The sun might be shining, but the person who has had a loved one die recently, doesn't really see the sunshine. Why? Because of death. Terrible, terrible death.

Which is why we look at Jesus Christ. He is the only One who has overcome death. He is the One who has faced our enemy, was laid in the tomb, and then, on the 3rd day, detroyed the power of the grave. He came back to life. It is called the resurrection. He rose victorious from the dead. He looked your greatest enemy in the eye and crushed it. It is as Paul writes, The last enemy to be destroyed is death. (1 Corinthians 15:26) Again we read, But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrectino of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. (1 Corinthians 15:20-22)

This is where I am going today. When I see the death of another person, I think about the resurrection. I pray that the person who has passed away was a believer in Jesus Christ, a Christian. When I say that, I am not talking about what the person has done in his or her life. It doesn't matter if the person was a famou actor or a farm hand. The question is the same. Faith in Jesus Christ. When I hear that the person was a believer, I rejoice. I still feel deep compassion for the family. My heart goes out for them. I pray for them, that the Holy Spirit would bring the power of Christ to them, reminding them of what Jesus did in His life, death and resurrection. I know that the family is hurting. The only healing balm for them at that time is the message of life and hope given in Christ Jesus. 

Yes, it is critical that the person who faces death, has faith in Christ, believing that He is the only Savior for them. As I sit at a funeral, I want to hear the comfort of the Gospel. When I lead a funeral, I want to proclaim the comfort of the Gospel. At the time of death, it is the only thing that matters. We are all the same laying there on our death bed. It doesn't matter how much money you have, how big your house was, how many animals you saved, how many cows you have fed or how many lives you have touched. Those are all memories that we will have about you. We will remember the things that you have done.

But the critical question is - do you believe in Jesus as your Savior. That, my dear ones, is the bottom line. Rejoicing in Christ, I thank Him for giving eternal life to sinners like me. Praise be to His resurrected name!

No comments:

Post a Comment