Sunday, February 20, 2022

Looking at the world scene

Is this what it was like? I have been thinking about that recently. With Russia set to invade the Ukraine, I sit and wonder if this means that the world is on the verge of a major war.  Each morning, as I turn on the news, I wonder if the breaking news will be that Russia had invaded, that war has broken out. We hear that if Russia invades, there will massive economic sanctions set against them. I don't know if that will help or not. I don't even know if that will take place or not. Our leadership has shown itself to be weak on the world scene, so will it suddenly become strong? I wonder. I don't have the answer.

But is this what it was like when the world knew that there was always the threat of Hitler to lead Germany against Poland and other nations in Europe. People waited to hear on the radio if Hitler had invaded. It seemed inevitable and yet, there was all the talk that preceded it. Chamberlin had met with Hitler and came away with the news that Hitler would not invade. Then came the day when he did. It was a terrible time. I wasn't around at that time, but from all that I hear and read, it was a tense time. 

I wonder if folks feel the same way. Will war break out? Will Russia invade? Will our men and women be involved in trying to help Urkraine? Or will we as a nation allow Russia to take that nation, saying we don't support it, and yet, doing little to stop it? I don't have the answer. I hope that Putin will back down and not invade. Many lives will be saved. So much of the nation will be saved from the destruction of war. I watch the news with the shelling taking place even before war has started, since it is the Russian back separtist that are doing the shellling, and my heart goes out to the people who are facing it. Can you imagine trying to go about your life with shells falling in and around your town? It is crazy enough that we have a nation where violence and killing are out of control. But imagine having shells falling in your neighborhood. It just blows my mind. I can't fathom it.

What can you and I do? We can pray. We pray that the Lord would move Putin to back down. We pray for the people of Ukraine. We pray for the soldiers, on both sides, for many of them will die if the invasion happens. We pray that the Spirit would guide the world leaders would do the right thing to protect the lives of so many people around the world. We pray for the world to be at peace. 

Is this what it was like? Waiting to hear that a world crisis will happen...

1 comment:

  1. leadership is "weak"??? smh. you'd rather we already be at war under the crazy orange dude? why are pacifists labelled "weak"??? especially by clergy that SHOULD BE PROMOTING PEACE. take your right-wing politics out of the picture and think about WWJD.

    ReplyDelete