Thursday, February 10, 2022

The alarm rings, and the day begins

 The alarm went off and I jumped out of bed. It was the day! Excitement coursed through my body. Hurrah! It had finally arrived. Oh the joy that comes when a longed for day arrives. And the day was here. Time to get packed and get ready. Rushing around, it was time to head out.

Wait a moment, that is not true. That is not how it happened. Let us rewind and start over.

The alarm went off and I reached over and turned it off. Sighing, I sat up. The day had arrived. Yes, it was a good to have this day arrive but I sure wasn't excited. Swinging the legs out of the bed, I felt the reality of the what was going on. It was the day for my second knee surgery. It was Thursday, February 11, 2021. I had been waiting for this day to arrive. The 1st knee surgery was in October, 2020. I was supposed to have the 2nd knee surgery in January 2021 but because of a positive covid test, it was put off for a month. So on that Thursday morning, a year ago, I stood up. Time to get ready for the operation.

Excited? Not really. Anxious? Yes. Taking it to the Lord in prayer? You bet. I was praying a lot the night before and throughout the night. I did sleep well. But, I was anxious. I remembered what it was like after the 1st one. Not fun, but necessary. I knew that I would have pain. I would be challenged to walk. I would struggle to get the leg going again. But it would be worth it.

Here I am, a year later, looking back, remembering what it was like to be looking forward to the surgery, praying for the Good Shepherd to lead me through day, and I am thankful. I walked down the stairs, foot over foot. Wonderful. I walked across the room. Thank you! Yes, it was worth all that I went through. The healing has happened. Is it perfect? Of course not. It isn't the way that God intended the knees to be. But then again, because of the fallenness of this body, the old knees were not the way God intended either. I rejoice that God has given us the technology to be able to replace and repair knees that were a mess. Walking hurt. Now it does not. Stairs were a challenge. Now they are not as much of a challenge, though they can still be challenging. I can sleep well. I give thanks for having gone through all that it took to get here today.

So one year later. I think back, shudder, and then move forward. I remember the pain, the suffering, and the healing. The Lord has done wonders. All praise be to God on this day that I went through the past year. Walking into the day, I sing "Praise God from whom all blessings flow, Praise Him all creatures here below, Praise Him above ye heavenly host, Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost." Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment