Wednesday, October 14, 2020

After surgery and in the room I go.

 ...the next thing I was aware of is, I really am not sure. It all gets kinda foggy. I don't remember coming to in recovery, though I guess I did. I remember rolling down the hallway, they stopped at central waiting to get Penny and she wasn't there. She had gone home to let the dogs out. Why? It had only been a couple minutes since I went into surgery. Surely they could wait a few more minutes. That's the way it felt. I remember laying down, putting my right arm out and then nothing. I guess it must have been about 3 hours later. Penny told me that she left as they got me into recovery. Said it would be about an hour so she had plenty of time. Crazy. Guess I recover quickly. 

Rolled into the room. Positioned the bed and I remember saying, "I'm already in a bed. Guess I don't have to move do I?" Was told that they changed me back in recovery. Really? When did that happen? I sure don't remember. They were busy hooking things up. Tube here. Oxygen around the nose. You will need this while you are here, I was told. OK. If you say so. Then Penny walked in. It was good to see her. She came over and gave me a kiss and everything was all right in my world. 

It amazes me to lay there in the bed and know nothing about what took place. Can you move your feet? Um, no. Try as I like, they won't move. Come on feet, you can do it. As I focus on my feet other things take place. I have to be honest, I don't remember much at that point. I think I slept. I think. I do know that I moved my feet. Felt like the man in black from Princess Bride. He just moved his finger. We have a castle to storm and you are excited about him moving his finger. I moved my feet. Look at that. They do move. Now for the legs. Nope, not happening yet. I think I had a few crackers and sprite. I think. I am not sure. I do know that people kept coming and going. Asking questions, which I would answer. I can see why you are not supposed to do anything after surgery. I could have sold my kingdom and wouldn't have known it. 

Then Kenda came in. If you don't know Kenda, let me tell you, sheis the Phsycial Therapist that gets you up and going. She was going to get me out of bed. Seriously? Out of bed. They just replaced my knee joint and you want me out of bed? And walking? No way. But there I was, standing next to the bed. Thank God for pain meds. That is the only way it was possible. Then with walker in hand, Kenda on the gate belt, I took a step. WOW! A step. Then another. I remember asking, "I am supposed to look straight ahead and not down, right?" Really? At this moment, that is what you ask? Where to look? I just wanted my feet to move and they were. We walked out of the door, into the hall and down the hall. We walked for what seemed like hours. It was barely to the next room and then turned around and came back. Felt like it was a mile or two. Looked up and there was Penny, facetiming our kids, showing them their dad getting ready to run a marathon. Time to get back in bed. Actually, if I remember right (and it is possible I don't), we went to the chair and I sat in the chair until supper time. 


Feet up. Sitting, watching, waiting, thinking, wondering. The afternoon moved into evening, supper came and Penny and I ate. The folks at the hospital do a good job. Not sure what it was that I ate. I think beef tips, the only reason I don't know is that I can't be 100% sure. I do know that it was good. Penny stayed until it was starting to get dark and she headed home. I wished I could go too but it wasn't to be. I wanted to talk the dogs into coming and breaking me out. We were at the end of the hall and it might work. But the dogs never answered their phones. Must have been busy doing dog things. 

About 8 I was put back into bed. I had sat up for several hours. Felt good but I was tired. Let moved but not easlily. How heavy is that leg anyway? 100 pounds? Seemed like it. Tomorrow will be another day. Hopefully wll go home Friday. If everything is working. And I was really trying to make sure it was working. I wish I could remember my day nurses names. But they are lost in the fog of medication. Krystan was my night nurse. Did a great job for me. There was another one, but I can't remember her name either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment