Monday, October 26, 2020

Thoughts on Physical Therapy.

Physical therapy.  I have heard about it. People ahve talked about it. As a pastor, I have had many of members who have gone through PT in their lives - for knees, hips, shoulders, heart, and a whole host of other types of ailments. They have talkeda bout how good it is. They have also said that it is challenging for them. 

Now, I know what they were talking about. I have PT three days a week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Different time each day. I have had 3 different people - Kenda, Ed and Emily. They each have a different way of doing PT but each are challenging. Is one more challenging than another? Nope. Is one better than another? Nope. All three of them have done well for. They have all pushed me. They have each taken me right up to the limit, then pushed a little bit further.

Is it worth it? Yes it is. I remember one day when Ed was working with my leg, stretching and bending. And as I was just about to cry "uncle," I remembered that the end is what he is working towards. So I let him continue to get that leg working. Then he was done. I breathed a sigh of relief. And walked out. 

The squats on the machine, wow! How far has the knee bent? 120 degrees! It was just about all I could do to get to that point. I was at 118, and felt like I was at the end of what I could do. Then as it was measured, and was at 118, I said, I think I have more. Gritting my teeth, letting my body weight press a little bit more, it was 119. Enough? I would have stopped is Kenda did not ask if there was more. A little bit more, and it was 120! I rejoiced, stretched back and breathed a sigh of relief. Is that enough? Maybe we could get to 125 she said. My jaw drops open, and I think, "Wow! Really?" My left knee only is able to do 120. Is that really possible? Time will tell.

PT - not giving up. I think about that with my spiritual walk. There are times I feel like quitting. Life is tough. Life is really tough. There is so many times I feel like giving up. But the Holy Spirit is there, encouraging me, reminding me that I am not alone, that He is there with me. He strengthens me through His Word. He lifts me from despair. He feeds me with Christ's body and blood. And then, I find that with His help, I am able to continue on. I am able to push through the pain of life and the frustration of the situation, to that which is worthwhile. The Spirit strengthens me so that I can do all things through Him!!!! That is the amazing fact about my Lord Jesus Christ. When I feel like giving up, He lifts me. When I feel like I am being crushed, He puts the burden on His shoulders and lifts me up. When I am overcome, He holds me in His arms, binds up my wounds, and then helps me to continue on. I rejoice in the life and love that the Lord gives to me. 

Has it been easy? Nope. Do I feel like giving up at times? Yep. Do I? Nope. Why? Because of my Lord Jesus Christ who is with me, because of my Father who holds me, because of the Spirit who strengthens me. My God is my refuge and strength. An every present help in trouble. I give thanks to my Lord for all He has done for me. 

Why do I tell you this? Because He is there for you too. He is your Lord. He is your Savior. He is your refuge and strength. In your struggles, do not turn from the Lord. In your PT of life, know that He never turns from you. He will hold you, lift you, and push you to contine on in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment