Saturday, October 17, 2020

Saturday comes and goes

 Sleep was not easy that night. I thought perhaps since I was home, I would sleep much better than I did in the hospital. But that wasn't going to be the case. Nope. Sleep wouldn't be so easy. Both dogs went upstairs like they usually did. I think Zeb wasn't really sure where I was since I had been gone the night before and he figured I was gone again this night. After all, who ever sleep down on the main floor, besides Grandma when she comes to visit. 

I woke up every 45 minutes to an hour. Had to get up, go to the bathroom, try to keep the bladder working for fear of what would happen if it didn't. Thinking to myself that I hope I didn't get sick again. Thankfully, I didn't. I would take a drink of water before going to bed, so that I wouldn't get dehydrated. That is the last thing I wanted to have happen. Or at least one of the many things that I didn't want to have happen. A few sips of water, back in bed, lifting the right leg because it would not lift itself. No amount of coaxing could get it going. Have you ever tried to get your computer to work by sweet talking it? Did it ever work? Of course not. Neither did trying to talk to my leg. Guess no softward installation yet. Updates had to be coming so that it could go online. 

Morning came, none to soon. What a miserable night of sleep. Fitfully at best, not much at all at worst. I wasn't used to that. I normally fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and stay asleep all night. If I have to get up at night, I fall right back to sleep. So to not sleep is a foreign concept to me. I am beginning to understand what it is like for some of you who are awake at night. Oh, how I love Jesus, I sing to myself, hoping that this will help me. It does, but sleep still never came. Long night. Oh so long. But little did I know that the Saturday would bring challenges of its own. 

Penny came down, checked on me. What a great nurse she is. I give thanks to God for her. I would be grumbling at her over the next few days. I would snap at her. And I would apologize to her. I don't mean to be mean. I don't mean to snap. It just happens. Amazing how sin finds its way out of our hearts at times like this. She is gracious and forgiving. 

I don't know how the morning really played out. I do know that we tried some dry toast and tea. Maybe that would be all right. Soon and very soon, it wasn't. Garbage can in hand, the dogs left the room. I don't blame them. I wanted to leave the room too. Boy did it hurt. It wasn't because of medicine we decided, because I hadn't taken any yet. A little bit later. It happened again. Can it get much worse? I crawled back into bed. Penny helped me. Took care of me. 

She called the surgery number. Told them what was going on and the good man put in an order for Zofran to help with the nausea. Back in the bedroom, what was left inside of my stomach made an appearance. Hurt worse than ever since not much was there. Laying down, Penny kissed me and said she was going for the medicine at Hyvee. 

Before I knew it, she was back. They had received the order yet. No Zofran. I don't know if she called or if the surgery center called but she got word that my medicine was ready. Off she went again. Eyes closed, weird dreams and she was back. A small pill that dissolved under the tongue. Tasted like grape at first then became nasty taste. But it worked Calmed the stomach. Was able to keep things down! Thank God for modern medicine. 

Had chicken soup for lunch. I do know that it tasted good. And it stayed down. Praise God! The rest of the day was kinda blurry. I know I sat up for a bit. I slept for a bit. I took medicine when I was told to take it. And I muddled through the day. 

Dreams. Really weird dreams. Dreams of lots of people Everytime I closed my eyes, there were people talking, standing around. People here, people there. And I could hear them talking. Crazy conversations. Where did all these people come from? I don't know. They would show up in my dreams, talk, laugh, carry on. Strangeness. Medicine does strange things. 

I know I did not do service that night. There was no way. I did preach though. How? Through the wonder of technology. I preached a sermon for recording on Monday and Casey played it for the sermon Saturday.

That's right, I remember some things. I received a phone call from Ritchie Funeral Home. Rae Ann Mellencamp passed away suddenly. I was in shock. The funeral would be this coming week. Would I be doing the funeral? The mind said yes. The heart said yes. The body? No software yet. Haden't been installed yet. But I had it in my mind I was going to do the funeral. Can you tell I wasn't thinking straight? Two days after surgery and I thought I could do a funeral the coming week. Penny, the one that seems to give good advice when I need it, suggested making a couple of phone calls. So I did. Called my chairman. Called me head elder. And both those men were much wiser than me, also they were not recovering from surgery and have heads muddled with medicine and legs without software. They guided me to acknowledge that I couldn't. I give thanks to God for those who give good guidance. Called Darrell Mellencamp and talked with him. My heart went out to him. I couldn't imagine the shock he was going through. Thankfully we knew for certain that Rae Ann believed in Jesus as her Savior and was seeing him face-to-face. Praise the Lord. Called the funeral home, let them know I couldn't do it. Talked with Pastor Tompkins who would do the funeral. Thank you. (Can you imagine, I was able to do all that even while not feeling the best. God is good. The Holy Spirit guides. Jesus saves. Praise the Lord!)

What did we do in the evening. Played Words with Friends. We like to do that. It is like Scrabble, only electronic. The day was soon coming to an end. I am sure that much more happened during the day but I must have missed it. I slept. I sat. I watched Penny. I petted the dogs. I slept. I waited. Thinking - soon and very soon, this will be over. My leg felt like it weighed 100 pounds. I couldn't lift my foot off the floor onto a stool or onto the bed. When would the software be installed? Maybe tomorrow. Maybe.

The night was coming. Penny tucked me into bed. Wrapped my leg in ice. Gave me medicine. Kissed me good night. Zeb stayed the night with me. Wrigley too. And I drifted off to sleep with all the people who would come and visit me. Who were there people anyway? ZZZZZZ


No comments:

Post a Comment