Thursday, October 15, 2020

Friday morning and a New Knee! WoW!

 The night passed. I would like to say that I slept all night long. All right, I will say it. "I slept all night long." But that isn't the truth. The fact is, I slept fitfully. How do you get comfortable when your leg feels like it weighs a hundred pounds, they kep coming in to do something and you have to use the urinal. Or at least, you have to try to use the urinal, or whatever that thing is that men have to use when they lay in a hospital bed. My bladder was supposed to wake up. I had 8 hours to go. And I barely made that time frame. The hurse gave me a pass. Thankfully. The other otion didn't sound like any fun. But I really had to go and it just wasn't working right. So I would wake up and try. Then go back to sleep. The nurse would come in and I would go back to sleep. The lady across the hall would yell and then i would go back to sleep. And it would start all over. Seemed like if I got a 1/2 hour of sleep I was doing good. Why couldn't the pain meds just knock me out? But they didn't. They did help the pain. That was good.

About 10:00 p.m. on Thursday night, I looked down at my leg just to see how things looked (as I if I could see anything with all the bandage and guaze and stuff) and there was blood on my bandage and my bed. Hold on here. I might not be a nurse but I knew something wasn't quite right. So I quickly pressed my nurse button. I took a picture of it and sent it to Penny. I have to be honest, it scared me. You aren't supposed to bleed through your bandage. But the Doc did tell Penny I bled a lot during surgery, so that it shouldn't be a surprise. But I was surprised and concerned. The nurse came in. "May I help you?" Yes, I said, pulling back my sheet, I don't think this is supposed to happen. She looked at it. Turned the lights on, and said she would get the floor nurse (or whatever they call the head nurse for the night). He came in, and soon they were taking the bandage off. Yuck! It was full of blood. They wiped it up. Cleaned it up. Checked it out. Then after a bit, wrapped it up. Then they changed the bed.

Being able to stand helped. I got out of bed so they could change it. And the dilemma was back. Those hospital gowns don't cover everything. And my modesty was back. I wanted to keep the world from seeing my backside. Who wouldn't? I know it isn't anything special to look at but it is mine and no one but the mrs. should be looking at it. So I stood there, trying to hold my robe together while the 3 of them changed the bed. I know it was routine for them. I am amazed at how effecient they are. They quickly changed the dressing, the bed and got things cleaned up, and then was done. They helped me back to bed. Yes, they had to lift my leg back into the bed because it wanted to remain firmly situated on the floor instead of joining me in bed. That is the way legs that have been abused act. 

Thenthe night began. Doze, wake up, try to go, be frustrated, doze, nurse come in, doze, noise outside the door, doze and then look at the time, only an hour had passed. It was like that all night. Was it a bad night? No. Just wasn't a restful night. 

Finally morning came - at about 4:00 am. when they had to draw blood, change bags of fluids, give medicine, check vitals and whatever else they needed to do. I was in a daze. I still was amazed at what had taken place. Thankfully, no more bleeding. All was right in the world once again. 

I was able to get up and sit in the chair (with help of course). That was so much better than sitting in the bed. I dozed. Then breakfast came in. Not all by itself, but carried by one of the wonderful folks from dietary. A good breakfast. More than I could eat. But I had my hot tea! Yum. That helped make the world right. A doctor came in and talked with me. About what? I don't remember. Occupational therapy was there at 8:00 am. I got to brush my teeth. I moved around. She helped me learn how to do basic things. Then came PT. Kenda was a good gal. Walked me down to the end of the hall. Thankfully she didn't leave me there. She walked me back again. Taught me about a step so I could get into the house. One step. Up with the good, down with the bad. I knew that one already. I think about that each week when doing stairs in worship. But often had to ask, which one is good and which one is bad? It depended on the day. 

Penny arrived at some time. I really couldn't tell you what time it was but it was good to see her. Like breath of fresh air coming into the room. So they told us that I had my walking orders. Megan would get me ready to go. All right! Home! Here we come.

But it got dicey before heading home. Megan changed dressing. I mean she changed all of it. Took the main bandage off. Got to see the knee, the cut, the staples. We were talking. Penny and Megan talking about the fact that I vagal easily. That means that I will have a vasogal attack or faint. Big time. Not a simple little thing. I hate it. Happened in several of my heart caths that I had. Once I vagaled twice, once at the beginning of the procedure and another when they took the sheath out. What happens? There is a rapid drop in heart rate and blood pressure. And you faint. My vision gets funky. I have trouble talking. Anyway, they were talking about that and I remember telling Penny, "It is happening." She looked at me and could tell I was a goner. "Keep looking at me," she said, but I wasn't able. Ugh, terrible, awful feeling. Give me surgery over vagaling anytime. So there I was, sweating, white as the paint on the wall, unable to see anything or focus on anything. And then, finally, coming out of it. "Sorry," was all I could say. Megan and Penny continued talking. Megan said she didn't need to actually see what happens when I do that. Sorry about that. 

Megan was usually a surgery nurse but was on the floor Friday because they were shorthanded and hand lots of patients (just to note, not because of covid, but because of lots of patients). She was actually one of my nurses during surgery. That was cool. She was laughing and said that it was funny the things I was saying after surgery (let it be known I do not remember any of this). I guess I told them they did a great job. They were an amazing team. That I loved them all. I appreciated them. She just laughed about it. Said it was fun to have someone like that. Made their day. 

Anyway, after that encounter, we got ready to go. Penny ran home because we didn't know how long it would be. When she got back, Megan took us through the routine check out procdures. Penny went to get the van and I was wheeled out of the hospital.

I had a new knee! How totallly awesome is that? I was amazed. I was pleased. I was in pain. But I was heading home! Fresh air. Sitting in the van. riding home. And the beat goes on. Thank You Lord for the past 24 hours which were beyond amazing. So many good people taking care of me. The Lord watching over me. And nothing would be then same anymore. Couldn't be. I had a new knee!

No comments:

Post a Comment