Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Heading into a knee replacement

 Sitting on the edge of the gurney, hunched over, chin to the chest, I hear, "This is going to be cold." And it was. Whatever was being smeared on my back was cold. "It will be cold again." Again, it was cold as it was smeared around my lower back. There was a little stick. The doctor was working quickly, and then there was the bandage or whatever it might have been that was supposed to be cold too. But it wasn't nearly as cold as the stuff he had smeared on my back. "All done." Then I swung my legs up and laid back on the table. Stretching one arm to the left, laying it on the arm rest thingy (not sure what it was called). After a little juggling and moving, another one was on the right side. My arm was stretched out onto it. And that was the last thing I remember. 

It was Thursday morning, October. 8. I entered the operating room at 8:58 a.m. That is what the nurse said. I was scheduled for a knee replacement at 9:00 a.m. so things were moving along on time. Was I nervous? Yes indeed. They were going to work on that right knee that had been giving me such trouble. I was anxious about it but took it to the Lord in prayer. I was talking to Him quite a bit that morning as I got ready to head to the hospital. Didn't sleep real well that night. Was thinking about what it would be like. I had no clue. Would it really hurt? On a scale of 1 to 10, what would it be? Time would tell, but, my oh my, I was not looking forward to the pain. Then again, who does look forward to pain? Do you get up in the morning and say, "I hope I have pain that is a 9 on the scale." Of course not. We look forward to being pain free. But that comes with some challenges.

The nurses were really nice as they got me ready. The called my name in the central waiting room. Walked over and answered some of Penny's questions. I wished they could answer mine, but only ime could answer mine. She would be able to wait in the central waiting during surgery. When they took me from recovery to my room, she would be able to go to the rooom with me. I was happy to hear that. She had always been the one that could help me through my difficult times. With a kiss, then another, I was walking back to my fate. What had I agreed to? Was there still time to back out? Could I just turn around and go home? Those thoughts raced through my mind as we walked back and they chatted with me about what was going to happen. How could they be so calm? My heart felt like it was beating a mile a minute (which it wasn't). 

Time to get changed. Opening the robe to the back. Oh yeah, so the whole world could see my fanny in all its glory. As if I would really care about that in a little while. But right now, I did care. Who wants to show off their backside to strangers, especially nurses in the OR prep area. Oh well, they have seen it all, really nice one and really ugly ones. Where did mine fall in the line of that? Who cares? But the silly things you think about. Modesty is the last thing that you have in the hospital so you hang onto it as long as you can. Soon, it won't matter. 

Need to hook up the heart monitor, the BP cuff and the oxygen thing on your finger. All looks good. BP was a little high. Really? I wonder why? They are going to be sawing and drilling on my leg. Ugh. Why did I do this again? Time for the IV. The student gets the joy of putting the IV in my hand. Watch out! This could be a problem. I remember in 1991 as they were preparing me to reconstruct my ankle, the student nurse couldn't get the IV in. Oh my goodness, I felt like I was going to pass out after the 3rd try. The doctor actually had enough and did it himself. But this little gal was slick as could be. She did a good job on the 1st try. Well done. Mica I think her name was. Things are a little foggy for me as I try to remember. Then comes a whole bunch of medicine. This pill for that, that pill for this. This shot in the IV will dry your mouth out, and it did. Only a little medicine cup of water to take the pills. Penny would be able to without a problem, me? I used the whole cup, wishing I had more. 

Then they shaved my leg. Shaved my toes even. My toes! Why did they shave my toes? I asked. So that it is all even on the leg. OK, makes sense I guess. Stand up to shave the back of the leg. Hold the robe together to keep my modesty. After all, they are nurses and have never been flashed before. Well, I didn't want to be the first one. 

Then laying back down and waiting. Soon. A steady progression of people - Jason guy who puts you out, the OR nurses and then the man himself! Dr. Boese. He came in, talked a few minutes, autographed my leg and said he would see me in the OR shortly. I had his autograph! WooHoo! What would I do with it? Nothing, cause it would wash off. Oh well, short lived joy.

Time to go. A quick kiss to Penny via text, and I was off. Boy was there a lot of things lined up on the table getting ready for this surgery. Slide over onto the other table. Sit up, it will be cold, and then, lights out......

No comments:

Post a Comment