Monday, July 6, 2009

An Ode to Michael Jackson?

Tuesday is going to be the media event of the day (unless you talk with the media and some of the crazy people who will be there). It is the day when they will have the memorial for Michael Jackson. Why am I writing about the event? What does it matter to me? In reality, it doesn't. I could care less about the memorial for Michael Jackson. I really didn't enjoy his music, though "Thriller" and "Beat It" were pretty good. The videos made the songs. He could really dance - I could only wish that I could moon walk like he did. My kids get a little frustrated with me when I pretend that I can. Nor did I think he was the best entertainer of the century. In fact, in these last years, I have been appalled by his actions and the media circus that surrounded him.

I look at the adoration that will be given to Michael tomorrow 9and these last days) and I wonder to myself, would those same people give that adoration to Christ? Do they give it to Him? Ask those same people to stand in line to hear the message of the Gospel proclaimed, and what do you think they would say? Would they do it? If you offered tickets to thousands of people to come to a national event of the Lutheran Church, do you think that they would come? The only answer I can give is - I doubt it seriously. A memorial service vs. a service of praise to God - which will come out on top? Take a wild guess.

But that isn't the only thing I think about when I think of the memorial for Michael Jackson. I also think about his soul. Now some of you will say, "You can't comment on his soul." And in some ways you would be right. I didn't know Michael personally nor did I ever ask him if he knew Jesus as his Savior. But I do know that the Jackson family was raised Jehovah's Witnesses. I don't know if Michael held onto that belief until he died. If he did, I am saddened. The reason - those who follow the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in Jesus as a Christian does. They do not believe in the Scriptural teaching of the Trinity (they believe the Trinity is a teaching of the devil). Those who follow the teachings of the JW's are not saved. They do not go to heaven when they die. And for Michael Jackson, either as a JW or as a non-believer, would not be in heaven.

That, my friends, is the greatest tragedy of all. Another soul has been lost. Satan has taken another one to hell. And that, through it all, breaks my heart. Rest in peace Michael Jackson? No, he won't rest in peace. Satan will make sure of that. Thousands and millions will mourn his death - but will they mourn the loss of his soul to damnation? That is where the tears should be shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment