Thursday, March 26, 2020

Gossip in a time of crisis.

So what do you do? Now that there is a case of Covin-19 in Page County, what do you do? You continue to stay home. You continue to get the carry out meals from the local places of eating. You avoid going around folks who are high risk. You continue to social distance.

What don't you do? You don't try to find out who it is. You don't call your neighbor and gossip with them, saying things like, "I heard it might have been..." Or you don't start to say, "I heard from someone that heard from someone else that our neighbor might have been exposed to the virus." That is not helpful. No, you cannot be told who it was. Nor should you be asking around to try to find it out. Nor should you spread any other gossip that you have heard. Last Monday, I was told, "I heard that there were 2 cases in ...." Again on Tuesday, I was told, "There was a person in ,,, who tested positive." Both of these were mere gossip and untrue. Unfortunately these things are passed on. What did I say? I told the different people that said these things, "I am sure that is not true."

We are people who want to know everything we can about everyone else, even while we don't want anyone to know about us individually. Unfortunately we often share things that are not true. Gossip is something that runs rampant. If you hear something, you want to share it, even if it isn't true. Often, we don't want to seem like we don't know what is going on. We also like to be the first to share something.

I have found that to be true about such things as hospitalization or death. One time I had a member in the hospital. I had just returned to church after the hospital visit and was told, "So and so is in the hospital." I said, "I know." I was told, "Well she in a coma." "Really? That is amazing because I was just talking to her a short time ago so she isn't a coma." "Oh yes, she is. I heard that she was." "No, that isn't true." "Yes it is." There was nothing that I could say to convince this person that what was being said was untrue, even though I knew differently.

Gossip is wrong, even if what is being shared is true. I think about what Luther says in the meaning to the 8th commandment: "We should fear and love God so that we do not tell lies about our neighbor, betray him, slander him or hurt his reputation, but defend him, speak well of him and put the best construction on everything."

In this time of Covid-19, we need to not slander people by sharing that you heard they might have... Nor should we hurt someone's reputation by saying, "I heard so and so was tested..." This is not good. It is not loving. It does not support your neighbor.

What should you do? Speak well of each other. When you hear something untrue, speak up and tell the person it is not true. When you hear something that is true, you should point out that even though it is true, it isn't in the best interest of that person to continue to share such a thing.

It is hard. Good news and truth travels slowly. Bad news and lies spreads quickly. How does that change? You and I make the change. Instead of bad news or lies, spread good news and truth. Share the love of Christ. Encourage each other. Speak well of others.

This is a time that calls for Christians to step forward and act according to the will of the Father. You might say, "But I am just trying to protect others." Are you? The best way to protect others is to do as we are told, socially distance, and be smart.

Pray for each others. Pray that folks don't get the virus. Pray that the Lord will lift up folks. Keep the Lord in front of you and let Him guide your lips and your words.

2 comments:

  1. This is most certainly true I witnessed the hospital story unbelievable that someone was so convinced by gossip that when told We just talked to the lady she actually told us no she can't talk seriously Speak well of each other in love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pastor Mitch! Doing everything to God's glory isn't possible for us sinners. But as saints through Jesus' righteousness we are enabled by the Holy Spirit to walk in His ways.

    ReplyDelete