Monday, March 9, 2020

Monday morning

The second full week of Lent has begun. How has it been going for you? Have you kept your eyes focused on Christ? Or has that changed for you? Has the situation of your life caused you to lose sight of the Lord and what He has accomplished for you?

Last night we watched "Overcomer" at St. John, Clarinda. It is a really good movie. It gives a powerful message. It was well made. And brought joy and tears to the eyes. I would recommend that you would watch it if you haven't.

At the same time, I found myself challenged by the movie. Why? Because it was filled with decision theology. I understand that is where the writers were coming from. But I don't agree with it. It was amazing how they had Hannah read the first 2 chapters of Ephesians to understand who she was in Christ. Through out the reading, as she wrote down who she was, it was all that God had done for her. (It is also about what God has done and continues to do for you.) That was then translated into what she would do. Because God had chosen her, saved her, forgiven her, loved her - she then decided that she wanted God. That was quite the shift. From God saving her to her deciding she wanted to be saved. That is the unfortunate jump decision theology makes.

Yes, we do find ourselves living in Christ as we are brought to faith in Him. But it is still the Holy Spirit working through Word to bring each of us to faith. As we profess that faith in Christ, we must realize that we didn't bring ourselves to God but that He brings us to Him. He touches our hearts, moves them, changes them and giving us the gift of forgiveness and salvation.

Having said all that, I still found the movie well worth watching. It was a good movie.

How does this touch me in Lent? It reminds me that it is Jesus who has saved me. It is Jesus who went through His passion for me. He has carried my sins. He has paid my price. He has died for me. He has risen for me. He has saved me! He has saved me! Isn't that amazing? He has done that for you too.

That is the focus of Lent - Jesus Christ. Thank You Jesus for all that you have done for me. I give thanks to You for all that You have done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment