Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Midway through the week

How are you doing? Truly, how are you doing during this difficult time. There are the memes that bring smiles to our faces. I like the one that says that introverts are loving this time but the extroverts are struggling. As this goes on, I wonder even about the introverts. Are you a hugger? I am. I like to give hugs to folks. Not only does it lift their spirits, but it lifts mine as well Not being able to hug, outside of hugging my wife which is enjoyable and we do it as often as possible, is hard on me. I can't reach my hand out and shake the hand of the person that I meet. I cannot give a person a hug after we have spent time talking about what is going on in their lives. It is tough.

So how are you doing? I fear that depression might set in for some folks. I also think about children who are not able to have that contact with other children, teachers who are not able to be in their classrooms with their children. Oh, I know, that some of the teachers are doing things online. There is online teaching taking place, which helps. But that is not the same as being in a classroom, with the sounds, smells and actions that take place each day.

I feel that. At St. John, Clarinda, IA we are working on livestreaming our worship services and Bible study. Last weekend we were going to have worship, probably not with huge crows but I had the local police stop by and tell us that we cannot. So we recorded the Saturday evening worship and aired it on Sunday morning. I taught Bible study on Facebook live, with Penny and Dave B. present. I rejoiced that I was able to get that into the households of the folks in Clarinda, New Market, College Springs, Shenandoah and other places throughout the country. We are going live tonight for our Wednesday Lenten service. There is "studio" set up in the church sanctuary. We are going to ensure that folks have the Word of God in their lives and have that opportunity to worship their Lord. I know many churches across the nation are doing the same things.


But let me tell you a little secret. This is hard on me, personally. I love being with my church family. I love having the sanctuary filled with the bodies of the children of God, to look at their faces as I read the Word, to call them by name at the communion rail, to see their expressions as I preach the Word (and see the ones sleeping, LOL). All of that fills my heart with joy. And not having that, is hard on me. I greatly enjoy teaching Bible class. I love it when members of the class ask questions, taking us down what we call rabbit holes. It challenges me to be able to answer the questions of Donna, Elmer, Shirley and others. I love being able to look them in the eyes as I answer their questions.

Not being able to do that in Bible study or worship, is hard. I miss the Body of Christ. I miss the fellowship of the faith. I miss being able to greet folks as they walk out of the church following worship, shaking hands, giving hugs, checking to see how folks are doing. I miss being able to stand after Bible class and find out how a person's week has gone. I miss that contact.

So I wait. I know that this shall pass. I know that the Lord will see us through this time. I know that there will come a time again for us to gather together for worship and Bible study. I know that we will have time to sit as a table during a Touch of Love Breakfast. I know all this. And I thank God for the hope that He gives to in the middle of this crisis.

So what do I do while I wait? I read the Word. I pray. I listen for the voice of the Lord in my life. I pray some more. I post prayers. I post blogs. I do all that I can to continue to be strengthened by the Holy Spirit. And I do all I can to lift up those around me.

I give thanks to the Lord for His love. I give thanks to the Lord for the Body of Christ. I give thanks to the Lord that I am able to talk on the phone with members. I give thanks to the Lord. Period. Instead of focusing on the pain, I focus on that which the Lord continues to do in my life and the life of each and every one of us.

My friends, how are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment