Monday, June 1, 2009

Who am I? Just finished reading

"Who am I?" That was the question that Dietrich Bonhoeffer frequently asked himself. I don't think of myself as an expert on Bonhoeffer. I have read enough to begin to understand his life, his times and his writings. There is so much more that I want to read, mark, learn and inwardly digest. I just finished reading "I Am Bonhoeffer: A Credible Life" by Paul Barz. For those who have read some about Bonhoeffer's life, this little novel is a good read. It makes sense and it could actually be showing some of his life. If you have never had a chance to read a history of Bonhoeffer, there are several good ones out there. "A Spoke in the Wheel" by Renate Wind and John Bowden is a good one to begin with.

I continue to be fascinated by some of the concepts and thoughts that Bonhoeffer put forward. His stand on being a Christian but not being religious is kinda fascinating. I really enjoy his work on the Sermon on the Mount. It actually lead me into a Lenten series one year. Boy was that one fun.

There are times when I find myself drawn to reading Bonhoeffer's works. I think that he has many good things to say to us about our life as Christians, struggling in this world that is filled with sin.

Who am I? I am lost without Christ. I am a person who would wander from the path of life to the path that leads to many different things - all of which lead to death. Who am I? I am a sinner who needs the Lord. Why would He even think of me? What am I in the vastness of this universe? Why would the omnipotent God have anything at all to do with me? Why would He...and the thoughts could go on. In the end, I am called upon to just trust the Word of God that He is for me. He loves me, despite all that I have done and continue to do. He loves and cares for me - in all avenues of my life. Who am I? I am God's child. Nothing more - nothing less. I am His. He claimed me in the waters of my baptism. He strengthens me in Word and Sacrament.

Who are you? The answer to that question is to be found within the Lord Himself. Without Him, you are nothing. But in Him, you are everything - belonging to Him. And that is all that really matters. Nothing else matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment